Happenstance [EP] Review

Albatross: Happenstance [EP]
Released: Sep 3, 2013
Genre: Hard Rock, Blues Rock
Label: Self-released
Albatross "Happenstance" is clearly the simple mixed sound of dirty blues and classic rock.
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Happenstance [EP] Reviewed by: nhenley2, on october 01, 2013

Sound: Albatross "Happenstance" is clearly the simple mixed sound of Dirty Blues and Classic Rock. The "Happenstance" EP by Albatross was independently recorded and produced which gives the EP this great grittiness and raw sound to the album. The second the album starts off Albatross wastes no time in hitting you as hard as they can with the song "Evil Woman." This song quickly shows us the grittiness of their guitars, and the rawness of Eric's vocals. The intro to the song is quite interesting; without a drum count in or a short pause the song sounds as if it kicks in a mid riff, the intro is catchy as hell though. This song is easily a song that should get the band some attention and easily the lead single off of the album. The song quickly shows off the blues guitar talent of Johnny. What I enjoyed the most about Johnny's guitar playing in the song is the fact that he didn't lay the guitar parts on too thick and overcrowded the song with solo's even though it would have been quite easy to do so. The solo however that he nails down just after the two minute and thirty second mark to finish off the song before the acoustic sounds kicked in definitely nails the song down to a strong finish. // 9

Lyrics: Up next is a song titled "The Seaside" a mellower song compared to "Evil Woman" so you would think at the beginning of the song, but look out does this song ever pack a hidden punch later on. The guitars damn near do all the singing that is needed in this song, especially after the opening verse. I could easily see this bridge being extended to a couple of minutes during a live performance of the song. Eric still hits his raw gritty vocals but does get lost behind the guitars and drums in a few spots in the song. When the song goes into what I would say a 100% transformation Look Out, they totally caught me by surprise when I listened to the song for the first time. I actually check to see if I was onto the next song. The song quickly goes from a blues number into a full on rock song without notice. Johnny leads the way into the second half of the song by turning up the volume a little on his guitar and nails another tremendous solo to finish off the song. // 8

Overall Impression: "Smoke & Mirrors" an acoustic blues jam type of song finishes off the original songs on the album with a live version of "Evil Woman" to finish off the album. The first time through the song I instantly picked up a few influences in the song especially in the acoustic guitar playing. Then later on you can hear a few lyrics that have been used in a few popular songs. The recording of the vocals was nicely done, the echoing wide open sound of the vocals was a nice touch to the song. The song is not a full on acoustic song they kick it up quite a few notches at about the half way mark in the song, the song almost goes into a d tuning sound. The picked up section of the song is quite entertaining but for me it could have done without especially when the song changes back to its original sound and finishes off with a fade out. // 9

Comments