Como Te Llama? review by Albert Hammond, Jr.

• Released: Jul 8, 2008
Albert Hammond, Jr.: Como Te Llama?

If you were a fan of the Strokes before you were an Albert Hammond Jr fan (lets face it, most of us were) I think you'll enjoy this album. Albert takes the indy sounds of his freshman release "Yours to Keep" and mixes in a bit of an uptempo swing the way only he can. You'll hear the standard Hammond ultra fast stroking patterns and laid back melodies over catchy guitar based tunes. You won't be hit with a major curveball with the sound on this album and I expect that any fan of Yours to Keep will enjoy this album thoroughly.

To be honest I've only listened through the album twice and won't pick up on most of the lyrics until I've had the album for a couple years. If we're all guitar players here I think most of you can vouch that the words are not the first thing you're listening to. I can comment on Albert's lyrical style. If you didn't listen to Yours to Keep (first, go get it) you'll be impressed with the smooth calm of Albert's voice. If you did give Yours to Keep a listen, you already know what to expect and it's more of the same. I for one am pleasantly surprised with his voice on the album and even when he's live and clearly had a few too many drinks before the show.

How does Como Te Llama? compare to Yours to Keep? A step uptempo, but nothing new here that we havn't heard from Albert before. As far as the most impressive songs on the album, "G Up" has a nice fast paced guitar rhythm to it that caught my attention. "In my Room" will probably be the best live track if you get the chance to see Albert tour. "Spooky couch" is a fun little instrumental where Albert must have had too much time to play with the delay effect. And if you like the slower tunes I think you'll enjoy "Miss Myrtle". I love the feel Albert can bring to a rather simple song. I love the fact that be produced the album himself (too many bands rely on their producers to tell them what to do and it's nice to see someone take charge). I love the fact that Sean Lennon is featured on the piano. I hate that this CD came out on Monday and I didn't pick it up until Tuesday. If this CD were lost I would buy it again. If this CD were stolen I would track down the thief and make them pay my vigilante justice.

strokemystripes
    dirtymexican863
    Not true for everyone
    VoodooChild15
    I went to the record store the day before it came out and ordered the vinyl/cd set, it should come in soon. I listened to some of the album on Myspace already, and I like what I've heard. Yours To Keep was my undisputed favorite album of 2007 (I know it was 06 in the UK, but I am not in the UK). I can't ****ing wait to really sit down and listen to this one. My friends and I might have a little listening party. I really love Albert. The Strokes are my favorite contemporary band, and Albert's very high up there on his own.
    hurbz
    I got this one and Albert really shines... it makes one wonder if he really needs the rest of the Strokes. "Como Te Llama?" sounds more like the "traditional" Strokes than "First Impressions of Earth" did (without Jules' deeper vocals). I like the Strokes, I like Albert, but this cd almost makes me want Albert to leave the Strokes and do his own thing...
    hurbz
    If only Jules and Albert had the same mutual song-writing chemistry that Albert and Nick have with the guitars. Jules' lyrics were pretty stale in "First Impressions" - "Killing Lies" and "Fear of Sleep" were (lyrically) weak...
    stumaster18
    dirtymexican863 wrote: If we're all guitar players here I think most of you can vouch that the words are not the first thing you're listening to. Not true for everyone
    "...most of you..."
    joker_thief
    jim morrison714
    VoodooChild15 wrote: I think Jules needs to let Albert in on the writing process for the next Strokes outing. Imagine the two of them cranking out songs together. Jesus.
    i agree but the two albums Julian wrote by himself were the best.
    guy_tebache
    I'm seeing him at Splendour in the grass this year. I've been meaning to check his stuff out for ages
    VoodooChild15
    I think First Impressions had both the best and worst lyrics of the three albums. Red Light is genius, Ask Me Anything is guaranteed to make me feel better when I'm down, Razorblade's got some good lines, and Evening Sun has "the hateful things you think you want to say, time will turn them into jokes." On the Other Side's weak though, as are the two that hurbz said (with the exception of the line "I love you more than being seventeen"). I dunno. Strokes lyrics aren't the greatest, but they reach me in a way not a lot of other bands do.
    llama_guitarist
    You Only Live Once states exactly how I feel about religion, so I like the lyrics there. and what songs Voodoo said too. I have yet to check out either this cd, or the last, but I will definitely do so. AND it definitely should be "Llamas"
    strokemystripes
    joker_thief wrote: strokemystripes wrote: I've had it for a few weeks and I've listened to it no less than 25 times through already. It's scary..because it gets better every time The first time i listened to it i was a little confused but the second time round i realized, "this guy is a ****ing genuis!" P.S. sean lennon!
    ...not too sure why you quoted me on that haha
    ryanfuss
    First Impressions strayed away from something i think even Albert missed. His solo material doesn't reflect everything prior to impressions, but it does touch upon the rhythm. I'd take all eleven "is this it" tracks to my grave before this. But while i am alive, i would see out my time listening to this and yours to keep...that kind of means i wouldn't hear the songs while i was dead, but i would give em a rigormortic spooning. Sickening post, sorry.