On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax review by Alesana

• Released: Jun 6, 2006
Alesana: On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax

Definitely a must-hear album. Great lyrics coming from the mouths of a great vocalist and lung-wrecking screamer, perfectly matched with sweet, awesome riffs and rhythms, doused up with a pimped drummer. Lots of interesting tracks, recognizing the fact that the album revolves around greek mythology, and the tragic circumstances engraved with it. Very clever.

The lyrics were perfect. They were very simple yet indulging. As I've said a while ago, they go into greek mythology and deploys surveillance in it's rich history and unravels the misfortunes and ill-fated point of view of some of the famous characters in the myth. My curiosity regarding the songs gave me additional infos, like: Ambrosia means food of the gods, Nero was an emperor or something, and well, discovered that most of the songs included characters in the myth like Paris and Achilles. That made me believe that Alesana was very clever. The lyrics complied so much with the music. The vocal prowess of Shawn and Dennis is undeniable.

One of the best albums I've heard, the sound, the voice, the lyrics, and the concept of the album. Very beautiful. It contained heavy songs like Alchemy Sounded Good At The Time (which included clips from Full Metal Jacket, as a dude above me said, and also from a movie "Underworld", and it was "This is the oldest story in the book, he desires the one thing he cannot have") and screamingly heartwarming stuff like This Conversation is Over, and a soft-sounded piano stuff (The 3rd Temptation of Paris). I love the album.

rufioisaninja
    This was an amazing CD and the guitars were very well played out with it and the screams with the music go well with it too the scream sounds like it would be a grindcore type of scream but it isnt and it sounds like it would be a pretty heavy band until you hear the vocals which gives you a whole new veiw on the band some people wont like the music (Skat64er) but those are usually the kind of people the dont understand really good vocals and that its really hard to get your vocals to go that high, be loud, keep the note going and not crack your voice and theres a name for when vocals go that high its called Falsetto not girly voice, or whinny retards this album is awesome and if you dont like it then you just dont understand good music and dont comment me and say I'm dumb and dont know good music I listen to everything my favorite music is grindcore and indie