On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax Review

9.2
 9.3
 9.1
On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax Reviewed by: tucker69, on february 05, 2008

Sound: Definitely a must-hear album. Great lyrics coming from the mouths of a great vocalist and lung-wrecking screamer, perfectly matched with sweet, awesome riffs and rhythms, doused up with a pimped drummer. Lots of interesting tracks, recognizing the fact that the album revolves around greek mythology, and the tragic circumstances engraved with it. Very clever. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were perfect. They were very simple yet indulging. As I've said a while ago, they go into greek mythology and deploys surveillance in it's rich history and unravels the misfortunes and ill-fated point of view of some of the famous characters in the myth. My curiosity regarding the songs gave me additional infos, like: Ambrosia means food of the gods, Nero was an emperor or something, and well, discovered that most of the songs included characters in the myth like Paris and Achilles. That made me believe that Alesana was very clever. The lyrics complied so much with the music. The vocal prowess of Shawn and Dennis is undeniable. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the best albums I've heard, the sound, the voice, the lyrics, and the concept of the album. Very beautiful. It contained heavy songs like Alchemy Sounded Good At The Time (which included clips from Full Metal Jacket, as a dude above me said, and also from a movie "Underworld", and it was "This is the oldest story in the book, he desires the one thing he cannot have") and screamingly heartwarming stuff like This Conversation is Over, and a soft-sounded piano stuff (The 3rd Temptation of Paris). I love the album. // 10

On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax Reviewed by: Smitty101, on february 24, 2007

Sound: With gut-wrenching vocals, solid riffs, blasting double bass, intelligent breakdowns, and catchy lines, emo/screamo fans will not be disappointed when they pop this bad boy into their CD players. This album features the harder songs, such as "Alchemy Sounded Good At The Time", and it also includes a softer ballad entitled "The Third Temptations Of Paris." If your in the mood for hardcore screamo, or a softer side of emo, Alesana defintley delivers it with, On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax. // 10

Lyrics: Lets face it, Shawn Mike is deffintley one of the best vocalist in emo music today. With an impressive high pitched, whiney voice that goes perfect for their music. Then we have Dennis on main vocals, who is an impressive screamer, and when Shawn and Dennis sing together, it's a perfect combination that just melts together in the mic. Alesanas lyrics are very impressive, this is where they show the "emo" side of their music, with their very heartfelt lyrics. Here is a quote from the song, "Congratulations, I Hate You". "As you build your dreams, on my shattered hopes, I'll look back on, a day once loved, and fantasize for tragedy, Swallow your pride." They're defintley fantasic. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on this CD are: Neros Decay (which has a very lovely guitar harmony at the beginning), Congratulations, I Hate You (very emotional lyrics, and really expresses their vocals), Alchemy Sounded Good At The Time (amazing breakdowns, and features clips from the film Full Metal Jacket). This album is just amazing, you should defintley pick it up, if your into the band, or even if your not. // 9

On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax Reviewed by: Killingthecat69, on may 16, 2007

Sound: This band is one of the most original bands I've heard in a while. They are like no other. You can't compare them to anyone. They are so different. They have truely shown me what music can be. Their sound ranges from deep death-metal like screaming to that of singing like an emo band. This band is a true screamo band. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are the best part of this album. They are just so creative. They go through personal experiences to greek mythology. The lyrics go along and match their music so well. It's amazing. The vocals on this album range from death-metal screaming to singing in a whiney voice. The songs range from thrashing/hardcore like sound in Alchemy Sounded Good at the Time to a ballad like the Third Temptation of Paris. I mean these guys really do bring a lot out and don't hold anything back in their music. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before you really can't compare these guys to anyone. They should be a genre all of their own. The most impressive songs would have to be Apology and The Third Temptation of Paris. Personally I love everything about this album. it's just so original and I think everyone should give it a listen. Even if this review didn't persuade you. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it at soon as I could. // 10

On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2008

Sound: I was surprised, when I bought the album, "On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax" and actually liked it. I'm not the biggest screamo fan, I like some, but most just don't impress me. First, the guitarists in Alesana put some of the weirdest riffs into their songs, like on their track, "Alchemy Sounded Good at The Time," at about 2:24 into the song, it breaks into this akward slow melody, with a really weird guitar part. The guitar for the most part is interesting, but I wouldn't call it impressive. But, hey, you don't need a great guitarist to have a great band. However, I will say I like some of the riffs he plays, like in their hit "Ambrosia" and another track, "Pathetic, Ordinary" they have some really cool sounding stuff, not technical, but cool. The vocals on this album, in my opinion are amazing. Their lead singer/guitarist(not the screamer) hits the highest notes out of all of the popular screamo bands (that's right, higher than Chiodos). The screaming is good, but sometimes misplaced, you may not like his scream at first, nut it grows on you. The bass on this album is interesting, it stand out much more than bass does in most screamo bands. The drumming is full of double bass which is always fun, overall the drummer performs well. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very metaphoric. Many times it often sounds like they are singer in a mid-evil theme. I'm pretty sure the band members are Zelda fans, maybe that has some influence. I love the lyrics in "ambrosia" I can't usually tell what they're saying, so I'd have to look it up to really tell. // 8

Overall Impression: If you like, Chiodos, blessthefall, or any bands like them, I would highly, very highly recommend this album. If you are not a fan of screamo music, don't buy it. My personal favorite tracks are: "Pathetic, Ordinary," "Ambrosia," "Tilting The Hour Glass." The rest are nearly as good. I love how unique this band is, just when I started thinking all screamo bands sounded alike, then they came along with a very surprisingly distinct sound. I didn't hate anything. // 9

Comments