Where Myth Fades To Legend review by Alesana

• Released: Jun 3, 2008
Alesana: Where Myth Fades To Legend

Alesana's third studio release, Where Myth Fades To Legend, showcases a more developed, tighter sound with the new songs, and improved re-recordings of 4 older songs (Goodbye, Goodnight, for Good/Red and Dying Evening/And They Call This Tragedy/Endings Without Stories). The band has also undergone a change of bass player, although the sound does not suffer, which is not surprising considering the band chose an old friend to replace the previous bassist. The guitar lines on the album are great, and the band makes great use of harmonies, such as in the dual guitar acoustic piece at the end of Seduction. The drums are better than ever, Jeremy has noticeably improved from past albums, and just as prominent in the mix. Sadly, the band follows suit with most screamo bands, and the bass can be barely audible combined with all the other instruments. Shawn's vocals on this album are not quite as high-pitched, and I feel his voice has matured a bit. His voice was not as appealing when I first began listening to the album, but soon grew on me. On a side note, Shawn does not use auto-tune, and I greatly respect that.

The lyrics on this album are more varied than those of their previous album, On Frail Wings of Vanity and Wax, but I personally feel they are less complex. On Frail Wings had many songs with lyrics that drew from Homer's Iliad, specifically the fall of Troy, resulting in complex and emotionally deep lyrics. I feel this album falls short lyrically in a few places, like in the intro track, where the lyrics consist of "It's a chance to save the world/Or lose the girl/Lets save the world/Heroes will save the day". However, tracks like Seduction have much more developed lyrics: "In love we're one, inseparable, pathetic lust, thus we crumble".

While this album may not be as immediately stunning as On Frail Wings of Vanity and Wax, after the first listen I found myself revisiting several tracks, such as A Most Profound Quiet, Seduction, and Red and Dying Evening, and I will listen to this just as much as their other albums. I absolutely love the fact that Alesana has not abandoned their sound like many bands have, and instead did the opposite by re-recording some of their older material. I don't hate anything about the album, except perhaps the album cover art. And if I lost this album, I wouldn't worry, because I've already ripped it to my computer.

the_small_guy
    this album is amazing to say the least though a few things in this review i would disagree with i would say they scream a lot less on this album than 'frail wings of vanity and wax' although thats not a bad thing, i do love the screaming! and i must say, i dont really approve of the ending of 'obsessions is such an ugly word' other than that i dont have any issues with this album at all. having not heard their 1st studio album and only having 'frail wings' to go by im not sure if i would deem it their 'best' work. however its pretty damn close! standout tracks to me have to be 'this is the part where people scream', 'sweetheart, your sadly mistaken' and 'endings without stories' much love!
    CoHead
    GuitaroAle wrote: i think this album is great. sure frail wings is a bit better, there is nothing wrong with this album. they don't have tuning issues...everyone says that. they just simply use strange chords, its that simple.
    well whatever he does, it sounds kind of strange in some parts. Anyway, i just haven't been able to get into it as much as On Frail Wings. It has it's moments but it just does not seem as solid. Frail Wings is definitely my choice.
    ganny1234
    i love alesana there so good. this album is as good if not better then the rest. blackborrego go have a cry you suck