Where Myth Fades To Legend Review

9.1
 8.9
 9.2
Where Myth Fades To Legend Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 04, 2008

Sound: This band is simply amazing when it comes to innovating sound. The whole sound of the band has changed entirely from album to album. They scream A LOT more. Although it wasn't as good as On Frail Wings Of Vanity And Wax, Where Myth Fades To Legend has some catchy tracks. Such as This Is Usually The Part Where People Scream, Sweetheart You Are Sadly Mistaken, and Obsession Is Such An Ugly Word. They have one piano track on this album, called As You Wish. It's not as good as Early Mourning or The Third Temptation of Paris, but Shawn's sister is back to sing in it and she does a great job. The sound of this album is a lot more angry and heavy sounding. They still kept their emo style though. Anyone who was a fan of the first or second albums should pick up a copy of this. There is a lot you're going to miss if you don't/. // 9

Lyrics: I can barely understand what they're saying. But the screams and (from what i DO understand) it is very well put together and thoroughly thought out. Especially in As You Wish, he starts out as "Life is meaningless..." Shows that they still are keeping that dark, emotional side of the lyrics. Overall, they're amazing. 10/10 // 10

Overall Impression: Where to start? This band is one of the most unique bands out there. There really is no one else like them. Some of the best songs are the ones with the double bass and epic sound such as Better Luck Next Time, Prince Charming. They should really make more songs like that and Congratulations, I Hate You on their previous album. The double bass and rhythmic guitar and vocals make a very emotional, dramatic, and great sounding tune. My personal favorite on the album is Sweetheart You're Sadly Mistaken. Mostly because they go from heavy metal and screamo screams to this light, happy, bouncy bridge with it all blending together flawlessly. It is undoubtedly the most catchy song on the record and the most unique. They should seriously consider making it a single. This band did NOT fail to amaze me in this record. This band has agreat things ahead of them and anyone a fan of screamo, or this band will enjoy the hell out of this record. // 10

Where Myth Fades To Legend Reviewed by: ValenceElectron, on june 05, 2008

Sound: Alesana's third studio release, Where Myth Fades To Legend, showcases a more developed, tighter sound with the new songs, and improved re-recordings of 4 older songs (Goodbye, Goodnight, for Good/Red and Dying Evening/And They Call This Tragedy/Endings Without Stories). The band has also undergone a change of bass player, although the sound does not suffer, which is not surprising considering the band chose an old friend to replace the previous bassist. The guitar lines on the album are great, and the band makes great use of harmonies, such as in the dual guitar acoustic piece at the end of Seduction. The drums are better than ever, Jeremy has noticeably improved from past albums, and just as prominent in the mix. Sadly, the band follows suit with most screamo bands, and the bass can be barely audible combined with all the other instruments. Shawn's vocals on this album are not quite as high-pitched, and I feel his voice has matured a bit. His voice was not as appealing when I first began listening to the album, but soon grew on me. On a side note, Shawn does not use auto-tune, and I greatly respect that. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are more varied than those of their previous album, On Frail Wings of Vanity and Wax, but I personally feel they are less complex. On Frail Wings had many songs with lyrics that drew from Homer's Iliad, specifically the fall of Troy, resulting in complex and emotionally deep lyrics. I feel this album falls short lyrically in a few places, like in the intro track, where the lyrics consist of "It's a chance to save the world/Or lose the girl/Lets save the world/Heroes will save the day". However, tracks like Seduction have much more developed lyrics: "In love we're one, inseparable, pathetic lust, thus we crumble". // 8

Overall Impression: While this album may not be as immediately stunning as On Frail Wings of Vanity and Wax, after the first listen I found myself revisiting several tracks, such as A Most Profound Quiet, Seduction, and Red and Dying Evening, and I will listen to this just as much as their other albums. I absolutely love the fact that Alesana has not abandoned their sound like many bands have, and instead did the opposite by re-recording some of their older material. I don't hate anything about the album, except perhaps the album cover art. And if I lost this album, I wouldn't worry, because I've already ripped it to my computer. // 8

Where Myth Fades To Legend Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2008

Sound: When I first heard a song on this band (from On Frail Wings of Vanity and Wax) I didn't really enjoy it at first. A friend of mine liked it and always played it, and I eventually started to like it. I especially like Dennis's parts in Red and Dying Evening when he does his high then low pitch screams together. I bought the new album and it sounds AMAZING! It shows how Alesana can go from hard-core songs like This Is Usually The Part Where People Scream and Obsession Is Such An Ugly Word but then it can be softer and calmer like As You Wish. Another thing that isn't all that good is the guitars. It goes great with the music, but if you try to play it yourself, it sounds different because you don't have a band to back it up. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are okay, but the singing is amazing! With the screaming, you can't really understand what they say, only make out some words, but then you can usually remember what the screams were like. When you look at the lyrics online, you would expect them to be emo lyrics like I hate life, but they are sometimes about love or (what they were aiming for in their new album) about a myth. All in all, it's very good. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was simply great. I think it is equal to On Frail Wings overall. I think Alesana is better than anyother band I listen to because I prefer the higher pitched screaming, but that's just me. I love how catchy some of the songs are. If I lost this CD, I would go and buy 10 more just incase I lost one of them again! // 10

Where Myth Fades To Legend Reviewed by: Guitar4life1210, on july 03, 2008

Sound: The instruments in the songs, to me, are amazing. I love the sound of the guitars/bass and the drums together. The beats are breakdowns are very catchy and the screaming is perfect. Alesana has really written some great songs for this new album. Also, it is obvious that their writing and musical abilities have improved since their last album. // 10

Lyrics: Although the lyrics on their last album, On Frail Wings of Vanity and Wax, were better, the lyrics of the new album are still very clever and well written. The screaming is all amazing and very unique as well as understandable. Especially with four screamers. What I do not like are the clean vocals. In nearly every song they are out of tune. I personally think that on an album, they should be nearly perfect. They are not very refined at all, but more raw and at times even make me cringe because the notes are obviously flat. That is one MAJOR disappointment on the album. Especially since it should be studio quality and also their second studio album. // 6

Overall Impression: Many say there are too many "cookie cutter" emo bands but for me, I take each song and appreciate them for what they are. Alesana is a very good band and aside from the awful and out of tune clean vocals, come far above many bands. Obviously the clean vocals are disappointing but there is nothing we can do. My favorite song is This Is Usually The Part Where People Scream. The intro guitar and screaming is awesome. // 8

Where Myth Fades To Legend Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2008

Sound: I think that this album is one of the best this year in my opinion. The vocals were very good and the mixture of the insturments was amazing... yes I nderstand that there are so many bands like Alesana right now but they have mastered what I look for in an album! Alesana's album "Where Myth turns to Legend" is the perfect album for the teenager who loves to listen to emo, hard rock, metal, ect. and is perfect for when I just need to get away from the rest of the world. I would deffinatly recommend this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics where very well written and actually give a meaning. You can hear the words very well even when one of the four people are screaming. Staying on the topic of screaming, it was very well done in this album. There are some people who cannot scream to save their life and one example in my opinion is Slipknot because when they lead seinger or whoever screams it sounds like they are screaming while eating. Alesana does not do this in their songs (thank god!). I have one bad thing to say about the vocals they just did not seem in tune. If the singer/s could get a tiny bit more tuning into their voices on the CD it would be perfect! // 9

Overall Impression: This is the best album I have bought this year! From First to Last used to be my number one album but this album which is already sooo much like From First to Last's recent self titled CD has knocked it out of it's ranking. I love every part of this cd! If I ever lost these songs or could never listen to them again it would be painful to my life. Thank you alesana for making such a wonderful CD and keep up the hard work! // 10

Comments