Captain Morgan's Revenge review by Alestorm

• Released: Jan 25, 2008
Alestorm: Captain Morgan's Revenge

"True Scottish Pirate Metal" is what they advertise, and they do not disappoint. Alestorm's debut release "Captain Morgan's Revenge" has created the genre of Pirate Metal in all it's glory. They are truly one of a kind. The style, even though labeled as Pirate Metal, could closely be related to Power Metal, or even Folk Metal at times. The sound itself is crisp and melodic. This album was produced very well. The guitars all have a very bright tone that is accented perfectly by the keys. Alestorm is filled with great musicians.

The lyrics, as expected, follow Pirate themes and elements. At first, they might come off as a bit corny. However, if you can appreciate the stories that each individual song is telling, I believe you will learn to greatly enjoy this band. Themes include drinking, sailing, treasure, and dancing the "hempen jig." The vocals of Christopher Bowes are gritty, but still sway from the guttural aspect that is common in Death Metal. If I could relate his vocals to that of another, I would have to pick Mathias from Turisas. They are somewhat similar, but not identical by any means. Christopher Bowes fits Alestorm's Pirate theme perfectly.

If I were to compare Alestorm to another band, I would have to compare them to Turisas. They share a similar sound, musically speaking. That's where the comparison ends though. Alestorm is in a league of their own (as of now). The most impressive songs are 'Over the Seas', 'Captain Morgan's Revenge', 'The Huntmaster', 'Set Sail And Conquer', and 'Terror On The High Seas.' All the songs are enjoyable though. These are just some personal favorites. "Captain Morgan's Revenge" even includes an interesting remake of 'Flower of Scotland', the "unofficial" Scottish national anthem. I love this album in it's entirety, and hate nothing about it. It's musically refreshing. If it were stolen, I would not hesitate to purchase another copy.

DyingToFish
    this album was the shit! i loved every song on it, and wenches and mead is a great bar song for the drunk!
    the_messenger66
    this album kicks ass! my favorite songs were Over the Seas and Nancy the Tavern Wench. every pirate fan should have this album.
    CradleOfJames
    This is by far the BEST album I have ever heard. Alestorm RULE! HyperChris is the most amazing Keybordists in the world. This is probably the only album I would give 10/10 for.