Submarine review by Alex Turner

• Released: Mar 18, 2011
Alex Turner: Submarine

Alex Turner, the frontman of Arctic Monkeys, did this EP for the movie "Submarine" which was released earlier this year. Dreamy sounds echo from the record straight to listeners mind giving chills at the best parts. The record is mostly about "man and guitar" and songs are quite simple. Neither of the two can be seen as bad things thou, as instead the record is good proof that music can be simple and still beautiful and comfortable. The record acts as soundtrack for the movie, but most of the songs were actually done before seeing the script. "Piledriver Waltz" is also released in the "Suck It And See", thou its different version. 01. "Stuck On The Puzzle (Intro)" - Beautiful start for any album. Piano and guitar fill the whole scene and the first verse of "Stuck On The Puzzle" joins the symphony of bitterness. 02. "Hiding Tonight" - Dreamy song about love. The song has good lyrics in but fails to push itself to top as whole. 03. "Glass In The Park" - Another like "Hiding Tonight". Good song, but not that special. 04. "It's Hard To Get Around The Wind" - Quite happy-mood song to be written about ones despair. Nice guitar picking throughout the song and great bridge! 05. "Stuck On The Puzzle" - I totally love this song. Dreamy, beautiful and romantic song about bitterness and being stuck with feelings for someone. This is "the hit" and I recommend this song for everyone. 06. "Piledriver Waltz" - Another great song with beautiful ending. Waltz beat takes the song into another level. Both this and the version on the Monkeys album are familiar sights on my iPod.

Once again, the lyrics of the EP prove that Turner is one of the greatest lyricist of todays music scene. All of the songs contain catchy hooks and remind listener that nowdays you can still find good lyrics instead of stories about money, cash and bitches. Especially "Stuck On The Puzzle" and "Piledriver Waltz" have great lines in them. I dont bother giving you examples, you have to figure them out by yourselves. I love Turners voice and his style. He makes the songs complete with nice vocals.

It was hard to decide whether to give this record 9 or 10. I ended up with 9 for various reasons. One of the reasons was that the record was from the frontman of my, probably, favourite band so I had to be aware of not giving too good grades! Also only 2 songs from the record are enough to be called hits, the rest are stuff you call soundtrack music. I love the movie and this record sits perfectly into it and that's why it deserves as good grade as 9. It serves the movie better than anything and that's the main endeavor of soundtrack.