Crisis review by Alexisonfire

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
Alexisonfire: Crisis

They sound a lot different, Alexisonfire is more focusing on harmony and want their music to be user-friendly toward radio stations as said in a interview with Dallas Green. Two songs that really struck me were "To A Friend" and "This Could Be Anywhere In The World"; both good songs and a great deal of harmonizing was put into these songs. By far this album takes it up a notch on "Watch Out!" But they still have the energy they had from their Debut album "Alexisonfire", with songs like "Boiled Frogs" and "Crisis", they are showing their heavier metal side we haven't seen in a while. Some of the songs I found I didn't like, but at first when you hear your favourite bands new cd; you are left with trying to adapt to it. Took me about 3 days to get use to their new sound. It still feels a bit like "Watch Out!" Wade, the lead/backup guitarist sings way more in this album. Also really suits the songs and blends in perfectly. "Boiled Frogs" they're 3 different verses, one starting with George Screaming, Dallas singing softly, then all in a sudden we are struck with another voice which is Wades. Alexisonfire offered something new to this cd, another voice. Gared O'Donnell (Planes Mistaken For Stars) is a guest vocalist for only one song on the cd. I could even barely notice the guest vocal.

They have matured a lot lyricly. The lead singer of Alexisonfire George Petit told Etalk Daily that "This album is much more mature, you won't find songs that are about Go-karts and stuff like that" (making a reference to the song "Hey, It's Your Funeral Mama"). Funny story is, the name "Boiled Frogs" came from George Petit, talking about how his father just before retirement got ripped off with his boss. The band was thinking on changing the name but George told them that the name has a lot to do with the song in general "Leaving a frog in a pot to boil, he doesn't notice it heat up and eventually dies." The vocals have been worked on a lot, the screaming is some what understandable, and Dallas is singing wise better from "Watch Out!"

This album is different than their previous ones. Sound, Lyrics, etc. Their sound has been polished and cleaned to sound more professional and this album shows it. The most impressive songs have to be "To A Friend", "Boiled Frogs", "This Could Be Anywhere In The World." I like their new style with an additional voice, but I still thing this album should have been a little more heavier. If it was stolen/lost, I would definitly buy a new copy.

<the_last>
    i still think their old stuff was amazing and better, but i love alexisonfire either way
    YamahaVinny
    alexisonfire is pretty much the best ****ing post hardcore bad in existince and this new album is a testament to their talent.
    kryptonite22
    I downloaded it. Some songs are absolutely brilliant. Some aren't. The songs that are good are right up there with the best songs they've done, but the bad ones are really bad. It's an album of polar extremes.
    [Miss Murder]
    I think the new alexisonfire album is great.. and I'd be suprised if I heard it played on the radio.. fairly poor review.
    shibby013
    Yeh I still cant see radio stations playing their material. I think Dallas sound f*cking amazing on the album, its actually rediculous. The sound is immensly tightened up since watch out and the new drummer sounds sick. Its a 10 all the way for me.
    blinnk16
    I liked "Watch Out!" better from what I've heard so far.. The guitar was a lot better. Just me, I like how 3 of them sing but I miss the more hardcore alexisonfire
    Todder187
    Caustic
    Yoms
    I want this album so bad. I get a lot of my albums off torrents, but Alexisonfire are my favorite band, so im actually gonna wait for the release and buy it on CD.
    Paddles
    m.redmeanstop
    I think this album sounds like a more polished "watch out" i like all their albums, the only thing i miss a little bit is the technical intricateness of their old stuff, it was the first impression that they gave off and won over most people with. But do admit vocals are quite impressive on this album, i personally really enjoy "keep it on wax" something about it just.. sticks really well, i like the vocals a lot. All in all, not a disappointment at all, just hope to hear a little more of the roots stand out in the future, but can't wait to see them play again this summer.
    Caustic
    Paddles wrote: Caustic wrote: The guys eyes on the front page icon creep me out. Seriously. He looks like Uri Gellars twisted protg. Chris Steele? No way, man, Steele's awesome. I met him at City and Colour when he was selling Black Lungs merch. The whole band is so down-to-earth, it's amazing.
    I wouldn't know what any of them are like, never met them. They sound like decent guys though. I was just commenting on the fact that in that in that picture, he looks really creepy. The eyes! They look like they're staring through your soul. I've seen the same eyes on traumatised soldiers.
    Camm
    I will always love the self-titled album. Such beautiful work with "Polaroids" and "Little Girls". I really didn't like Watch Out! because it was their attempt at the mainstream, with too many music videos and not enough bleeding fingers. This record, Crisis, is like a rise back up to their former glory, but they really fell short. I love "To A Friend" and "Rough Hands" and I really like the Anthem "We Are The Sound" because I can sing along to it. Other than those three tracks, nothing here stands out. It's all to rhythmically driven with not enough technical stuff. As a musician, I know that they put work into the SOUND of this album, and the ATMOSPHERE; but I don't think they put enough into the FEEL of the album, and the MEMORABILITY of the album. I'll always love my AOF... but I think my mail is safe in this town; if you know what I mean. I'd rather taz tatoos and explosive personalities.
    catpoop101
    I have noticed by alot of your comments, everyone has their own opinion of what alexisonfire should sound like. I myself prefer Watch Out....However would i want them to make a new album that has that same sound? The answer would be of course not. I have been listening to Crisis ever since i got it and i have to say i am blown away. For no one to mention "Rough Hands" (probably one of their best songs yet) amazes me. My one complaint about the album is the guest vocals done by Gared O'Donnell.Though i love Planes Mistaken For Stars, how on earth are they gonna do this song live without him and make it sound simialar. 10 out of 10 (if you dont like this album you need to go back to listening to fall out boy cuz your lame)
    catpoop101
    Todder187 wrote: I have heard one of there songs on the radio and it sucks shit. I am (welli was) a HUGE alexisonfire fan but it think their music is going in the wrong direction. They are loosing alot of old fans, me being one of them. I liked the old hardcore screamo with the wicked guitar riffs and gut wrenching vocals. It has turned into every other band out there on Much Music and MTV. I know what they are trying to do with their music and i think it's good for them but it just isn't the same as what alot of fans grew to love them for. Good bands need to stop making crappy records. *2 thumbs down* for CRISIS.
    I think your a moron for thinking anything on this album is made for mtv. Obviously you havent even listened to any of it.
    CobainenHeralyn
    I think its moronic that you've done a review on the album even though its official release date is in 21 days time... but the same time I understand why, cause although its a lot different from both the s/t and "watch out!" its faaking amazing!!! Though I still think s/t is the best :p Hmmm, Im loving the fact that they opted for George to do his thing on ever track...and how just when you think its gonna be a "side walk when she walks" (imo the worst aof song out there :p) it kicks in with some sick punk-metal riff and screaming (ie: To a Friend and Rough Hands) Wades singing on the album is also top-notch and even though Dallas Green is def a huge influence in the bands sound, its awesome to see him take a bit of a back step in regards to vocal duties. Love it. Nevermind best post-hardcore band, best band. Period. btw, has anyone noticed how refused the song crisis sounds?
    Kaney
    Cant wait to hear it, Alexisonfire deserve all the success Dallas wants for the band.
    mrmoo182
    strickler78 wrote: So how do I get my hands on this cd if it doesn't come out until august?
    Torrents.
    lwnovember
    i honestly think thats a bad review.. i have heard the cd and think its not all that radio friendly
    swifty8083
    I got the new CD, it's a lot different but respectable. The guitar work is a lot better. I honestly think they guy whom sings should have a side project. I give them credit for trying new things and not following other bands styles. I've only listend to it like 2 times through but I would give it a 3/5 right now maybe a 3.5/5. I need to listen to it more though.
    ululation
    I honestly think they guy whom sings should have a side project.
    the guy who sings does hav a side project- City and Colour
    Antzzang
    ululation wrote: I honestly think they guy whom sings should have a side project. the guy who sings does hav a side project- City and Colour
    PWNED lol
    Wobbler
    swifty8083 wrote: The guitar work is a lot better.
    IMO the guitar work isn't that great on this record. I miss this great main riffs like in Accidents or Hey, It's Your Funeral Mama...also the music is more catchy and not as in Watch Out! or Alexisonfire varying and experimental with tempo and effects. The vocals are a lot better, especially Georges screaming, and Wades singing harmonizes perfectly with Dallas. All in all nice record, but no as good as their previous records.
    xmarleyx
    its called city and colour because his name is Dallas Green [city and colour]
    tygo
    i don't really see how this album should be "a little more heavier" as the review says, it seems pretty rock solid to me. It seems like a perfect balance of the self titled albums heaviness and screaming, paired with the melodies and singing of Watch-out, and enough originality that you don't feel like you've heard this record from them already. Its definetly alexisonfire.
    Havenspear
    City and Colour is the best. I'm not actually a big fan of Alexisonfire, but after reading that loooong ass interview with Dallas that was on UG a bit ago, I'm actually pretty excited to hear this album.
    Cyclops31388
    I gotta give a good hand to Alexisonfire. Each cd they make is excellent and musically always going. Its busy but not cluttered. Only thing i was upset about this cd was mixing job... i definetly think whoevers in charge for some of th sounds could've made it a lot fuller.. might be producers fault... might be mixers fault.. but good cd nonetheless..
    Cyclops31388
    or it might just be becasue the torrented version quality isn't as good... my bad? iuno we'll see.
    Rizzo986
    worst album yet, made their songs more radio frendly.. made their songs sound like complete CRAP!