Crisis review by Alexisonfire

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
Alexisonfire: Crisis

Right from the beginning, the guys are clearly stating how much heart and effort they put into their music and they are trying to send that message out quick. Tracks 2-5 follow the trend of catchy, melodic hooks from the likes of Dallas, complemented by the screaming of George. Crisis follows a similar pattern and style that Watch Out! had, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Track 6, "You Burn First", features vocals from Wade, the other guitar player in the band, which adds a little diversity to the album. Unfortunately, I find myself skipping over this track. It's very misplaced and stands out way too much on the album. The album picks up again towards the end with great tracks such as "We Are The End" and "Crisis".

The album starts with an in your face track, "Drunks, Lovers, Sinners And Saints", which boasts the lyrics "This is from our hearts/So suddenly a super chart to make some mistakes/We'll make some mistakes/Well it's a long time coming when your giving it everything." The lyrics I feel are more metaphoric and symbolized rather than straight to the point and message sending like some of their past lyrics were. The lyrics written for the new album though fit perfectly with the music and I'm sure the guys knew that.

The production on the album isn't that great which I don't like very much, but I have gotten used to it because a lot of Alexisonfire's work has been of poor production. This shouldn't take much away from the album though because it isn't horrible. The artwork for the album is a little weak as well, and not as creative and adventurous as their previous albums. Overall, Crisis is a great album, full of catchy hooks, infectious guitars, and screaming from George that complements everything I just mentioned. This album is definitely for fans of Alexisonfire, and they will not be dissapointed with this album. Some critics are calling this album Watch Out! 2, and I can see where they are coming from, but I definitely get a different feeling with this album. It's a little darker, a little less poppy, but still the same old catchy Alexisonfire.

KidLinkin
    All the songs except for 'You Burn First' are sensational. The said song is Gared from 'Planes Mistaken For Stars' NOT Wade. I like how all of them sing, including on the current single 'Anywhere In The World' where George sings the souls and homes part with Dallas, and in the opening track, 'Drunks, Lovers, Sinners, Saints' is basically Wades song. Obviously, they evolved from Alexisonfire to Watch Out. For the better or not, they did. They did it again with Crisis. In one song, 'Keep It On Wax', Dallas and Wade harmonize which sounds dope to say the least. If your still whining about them losing their hardcore touch, listen to 'Crisis' or 'To A Friend', which are generally as heavy as any of the Watch Out album songs. Top notch, buying when it comes out, no doubt about it.
    pocallaghan2002
    Alexisonfire is the shizznat. Thats a good thing by the way. Dallas Green is a GOD he rox my proverbial sox
    ledzep1991
    Alexisonfire, is honestly one of my favorite bands. The self-titled album was a great start, but "Watch Out!" really did it for me. "Crisis" did not fall short by any means. Of course there is a song or two that I am not a huge fan of, but other then that, the album is incredible.
    cassieisonfire
    you are so totally ****ing wrong! this cd is just as amazing as the last ones, and the lyrics are different, but equally amazing! don't trust this review!
    ululation
    LakeboDom
    ululation wrote: people always seem to love a bands earlier stuff rather than appreciate where they want to go on with their music... on an interview George sed it would be boring doing the same things.. anyways if they kept doing the same style just because fans wanted them to then they would be making music for the wrong reason...musicians use music to express want THEY want and not just to impress other people and make money...well there are a lot of sell-out bands out there but alexisonfire is sure not one of them anyways i love the new cd but i really dont like that song with the guest singer "You Burn First"
    well said alexisonfire is amazing
    edthebassist
    I think songs like "drunks, lovers, sinners, and saints" and "boiled frogs" are definately up there in the top alexis songs. Great album.
    Green_Day_Rock
    Writing the same sorta songs to please your exisiting fans is selling out; you only write songs to please your existing fans. Everyone gets bored if you write the same thing over an over.
    blinnk16
    On Drunks, lovers, sinners, and saints-- the lyrics the dude posted are wrong. It's " Alright! this is from our hearts! Sincerity over simple chords, we made some mistakes, we made some mistakes; but it's a long time comin' when you're givin' it everything! "
    blinnk16
    that's true, but the "guest singer" you speak of is Wade, the guitarist opposite of Dallas.
    dougwagz
    Alexisonfire is one of my favorite bands. Its great to see a band that doesnt need to wear eyeliner and black clothes in this scene. This cd is great, although i would have liked to hear some more difficult guitar riffs like on "Hey mama, its your funeral" off of Watch Out.