Crisis review by Alexisonfire

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
Alexisonfire: Crisis

The Sound is lot different to "Alexisonfire" & "Watch out" relying more on Dallas' voice & a heavier reliance on hooks & sections instead of riffs & dynamic changes. It is clear the album was made for more of the mainstream audience to hear them. The song scructure has changed as they no longer have epic intros (no transitory, Pulmonary archery) or as many meodic breakdown sections (Hey, it's your funeral mama, A dagger through the hart of St Angeles). George has changed his screaming style, it's easier to understand him & his sentences are actually connected instead of the one syllable at a time screaming on previous albums. Wade gets more of a sing, which is good cause I think he has a great voice & it also adds another element to their music, a kind of balance between George's screaming & Dallas' melodic style. took a while to get used to, still working on it, but overall a good introduction for new fans. Old fans might be put off.

Definate maturation. Dallas has almost taken over as the lead singer with a lot more parts going to him & george has become more of a back up & his screaming has become more user friendly & understandable, his singing style has changed as he now sings in full sentences instead of the detached single syllable style on previous albums. Wade gets more of a sing, which I think is a good thing as he has a great voice. "Boiled frogs" is an example of sharing the singin roles as all three of them have a verse each.

Pretty good all round, but in my opinion lacking compared to both previous releases. Some of the stand outs are "Boiled frogs", "To a Friend" "This could be anywhere in the world" & "We are the end", with all of them showing signs of the old alexis but also showing the necessary growth. The one track that I think should be left to rot wallowing in a pool of it's own sorrow is "Rough Hands", this song shows too much of a City & Colour influence to be regarded as Alexisonfire and seems to have been thrown in for the mainstream audience. Aside from that, this album is quite good for old & new & will still stand Alexisonfire out from many other bands in their genre.