Crisis review by Alexisonfire

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
Alexisonfire: Crisis

The album opens perfectly with a shout of "ALRIGHT!" from George, instantly showing the bands aggression in this album. although the opening track is average, something new for alexisonfire, this album is probably their most solid yet. Seven of the total eleven tracks on the album are stand out's and all but Drunks, Lovers, Sinners and Saints as well as You Burn first, are all very solid tracks. Songs such as We Are The Sound and Crisis feel like they were made to get the crowd up and going during performances, and they do just that. The singles of the album (this could be anywhere, boiled frogs, and rough hands) were all to be expected, but with Rough Hands being the different of the 3, being a "slow jam" as George would put it. It should be noted all 3 singles are melodic and emotional compared to the aggresive, catchy songs that fill the rest of the album.

Lyrics are arguably the biggest progression of the band being a lot less random and lot more serious. Singing about topics such as a former member (Jesse Inglevics), a hatred for the city they grew up in (Mailbox Arson & This Could Be Anywhere In The World) and family issues (Boiled Frogs), this band seems a far cry, lyrically, who just on their previous album was singing about go carting.

Although the same band the style of this band has audibly progressed leaving the listener happy with the new sound and evident path taken. However to those were fans of Alexis' previous work will be at a loss from the more artistic and energetic albums of the band. With watch out! having a more atmospheric, experimental sound and the self titled having a youthful enegery this album may seem lack luster or mainstream for current fans. However this album has obvious gems (the singles) and others that will take some looking for, tracks such as To a Friend, which could be considered one of the bands best and most underrated songs to date. As well, the B-side Thrones, a poppy song (which is maybe why it was left off the album) shows a more polished side of the band but is none-the-less another song that could be considered one of their best songs to date. That being said, this album is definetly a classic and deserves all the recognition it recieves.

sexclamation
    I don't know how anyone can compare this album with the self-titled. The self-titled was sloppier on the guitar work and it's quite easy to tell. It also wasn't the best quality of recording either. I think Watch Out! had more diversities in the songs throughout the record than this one. But the song on this album that demonstrates the most composition and musicianship is "Rough Hands". Also when it comes to lyrics, it doesn't matter what the message is; it's how you convey the message to the reader.
    AWACS
    Personally, I love all of Alexisonfire's work, for different reasons. I loved all the slamming guitar riffs, and the hard-core genre "sound" (don't know what else to call it.) in their debut album. Watch out was good, imo, because as said before it was melodic. The main reason I fell in love with Crisis, was, no lie, "This Could Be Anywhere In The World", because of the imagery and emotions that one can feel through the lyrics. It paints a portrait in your head, which I like in almost any band. I also very much enjoyed "Rough Hands", "Thrones", "Drunks, Lovers, Sinners and Saints".