Crisis Review

Lyrics: 8.3
 8.6
 8.1
Crisis Reviewed by: Dj_Smoke3, on july 28, 2006

Sound: They sound a lot different, Alexisonfire is more focusing on harmony and want their music to be user-friendly toward radio stations as said in a interview with Dallas Green. Two songs that really struck me were "To A Friend" and "This Could Be Anywhere In The World"; both good songs and a great deal of harmonizing was put into these songs. By far this album takes it up a notch on "Watch Out!" But they still have the energy they had from their Debut album "Alexisonfire", with songs like "Boiled Frogs" and "Crisis", they are showing their heavier metal side we haven't seen in a while. Some of the songs I found I didn't like, but at first when you hear your favourite bands new cd; you are left with trying to adapt to it. Took me about 3 days to get use to their new sound. It still feels a bit like "Watch Out!" Wade, the lead/backup guitarist sings way more in this album. Also really suits the songs and blends in perfectly. "Boiled Frogs" they're 3 different verses, one starting with George Screaming, Dallas singing softly, then all in a sudden we are struck with another voice which is Wades. Alexisonfire offered something new to this cd, another voice. Gared O'Donnell (Planes Mistaken For Stars) is a guest vocalist for only one song on the cd. I could even barely notice the guest vocal. // 10

Lyrics: They have matured a lot lyricly. The lead singer of Alexisonfire George Petit told Etalk Daily that "This album is much more mature, you won't find songs that are about Go-karts and stuff like that" (making a reference to the song "Hey, It's Your Funeral Mama"). Funny story is, the name "Boiled Frogs" came from George Petit, talking about how his father just before retirement got ripped off with his boss. The band was thinking on changing the name but George told them that the name has a lot to do with the song in general "Leaving a frog in a pot to boil, he doesn't notice it heat up and eventually dies." The vocals have been worked on a lot, the screaming is some what understandable, and Dallas is singing wise better from "Watch Out!" // 9

Overall Impression: This album is different than their previous ones. Sound, Lyrics, etc. Their sound has been polished and cleaned to sound more professional and this album shows it. The most impressive songs have to be "To A Friend", "Boiled Frogs", "This Could Be Anywhere In The World." I like their new style with an additional voice, but I still thing this album should have been a little more heavier. If it was stolen/lost, I would definitly buy a new copy. // 9

Crisis Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 20, 2006

Sound: Alexisonfire have always been one of my favorite bands, and after hearing "Crisis" that has not change one bit. However, I must admit it did take a few listents to really get to like the record. Previous to "Crisis", Alexisonfire have been viewed to be a more hardcore band. "Watch Out!" and "Alexisonfire" are both two great albums, but the sound is slightly different in "Crisis". There is still the same amazingly catchy guitar riffs, and Dalla's voice is also amazing, but George, I find has drastically changed his screamo stlye. His words are now a lot clearer than before on "Alexisonfire" and "Watch Out!" Personally I found that the bass didn't quite stand out as much as it did on previous albums. However, overall this is an awesome album. // 10

Lyrics: Alexisonfire lyrics have matured quite a bit since "Alexisonfire" and "Watch Out!" They are typically about a Crisis that a town or city is going throgh. They are very well written, and very entertaining. In relation to the singing skills, they are second to none. Dallas is just simply amazing, and keeps improving every record. George has also improved his screamo style by adding more clarity to the words. // 10

Overall Impression: Here is a track rating of the album: 01. Drunks, Lovers, Sinners And Saints - this is an amazing opening track that dives right into a typical alexis sound. 02. This Could Be Anywhere In The World - the first single of the record, and a great choice. Extremly catchy, great new sound. 03. Mailbox Arson - at first I couldnt stand this song, but after only a few listens it quickly became one of my favorites on the album. 04. Boiled Frogs - another great track, very interesting lyrics. 05. We Are The Sound - great song, but took some time until I really got to like it. 06. You Burn First - I'm not really sure why they made this song, or how it even ended up on the record. I really hate this song. 07. We Are The End - excellent song to help get my mind off of "You Burn First". Great hooks. 08. Crisis - probably the heaviest song on the album, not one of my favorites though. 09. Keep It On Wax - this relaly took some time. I just wasn't "feeling" this song as much as the others, but it's still an OK song. 10. To A Friend - this is one of the most amazing on the record. It has a slightly new sound and is just absolutly brilliant. Dallas really shines on this track. 11. Rough Hands - very nice song to close with. A bit softer than everything on the album, but sitll very good. // 10

Crisis Reviewed by: underscore_, on january 15, 2007

Sound: For a lot of the album "crisis" it is typical alexisonfire sound, fast melody-based guitar licks played over simple chords. At the same time though this album shows a lot more diversity then some of the other AOF albums in the sense that you get some songs that are hard/heavy, some songs that are more typical AOF style with fast rock, and some songs that are quieter, which you don't usually get from and AOF album. The singing in "crisis" is typical George screamo but I found there was quite a bit more of Dallas' singing with the higher toned more classical singing style. That is a big plus for me, but don't worry if it's not your thing, there is still tons of screamo courtesy of our friend George! I consider this album to be post-hardcore/rock/indie. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album I think are just amazing. Most of the songs lyrics are stories being told by the band which is creative from a band and very different then a lot of what you see coming out of bands now-a-days such as love songs, hate songs, really stupid songs that have no real meanings and are just random words thrown together that rthyme. Like I said under the sound of the album there is a lot more of Dallas' singing voice but the songs still maintain as much George-screamo as before, so don't feel like you're missing out! Overall the singing quality is very good. At some points it's quite hard to understand the words that are being screamed, but like most screamo that's the case. In the CD book there is a clear printout of all the lyrics so it is easy to scream-along if you wish to do so. The singing belted out by Dallas and Wade is very good and very clear. Overall great lyrics and singing. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an amazing album, the best AOF album yet I think. Definitely a CD you want to pick up for your collection. Great sound, great lyrics, great playing and vocals, a solid 9/10 for me. it definitely compares to other CD's on the market right now, and I recommend it for everyone. // 9

Crisis Reviewed by: hostx9, on august 07, 2006

Sound: The sound of the music is definitely an understatement of what Alexis is capable of. Upon hearing it, my foot was tapping because of the catchy riffs, but after a couple of plays, it slowly deteriorated until it wasn't fun to listen to. It was not harmonic and beautiful like they once portrayed in their self-titled album in 2002. Still, though, it was okay to listen to, but I must say that I was rather disappointed. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics had similar issues to the sound. I have a sweet spot for poetic, hard-to-understand lyrics, and this album didn't come anywhere close to hitting it. It sounded like they got lazy and decided to sound like any other post-hardcore band. Once again, it was mediocre at best. // 6

Overall Impression: For my overall impression, it's definitely catchy, and something you should take a look at. The musical riffs are interesting, but aren't as melodic as the stuff that Alexis has done in the past. Also, the lyrics are okay, and are barely a step above other post-hardcore material. However, I seriously advise you to listen to some of their older stuff, as it is much deeper and profound than this disappointment of an album. // 6

Crisis Reviewed by: VeloriumCamper, on august 14, 2006

Sound: Right from the beginning, the guys are clearly stating how much heart and effort they put into their music and they are trying to send that message out quick. Tracks 2-5 follow the trend of catchy, melodic hooks from the likes of Dallas, complemented by the screaming of George. Crisis follows a similar pattern and style that Watch Out! had, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Track 6, "You Burn First", features vocals from Wade, the other guitar player in the band, which adds a little diversity to the album. Unfortunately, I find myself skipping over this track. It's very misplaced and stands out way too much on the album. The album picks up again towards the end with great tracks such as "We Are The End" and "Crisis". // 8

Lyrics: The album starts with an in your face track, "Drunks, Lovers, Sinners And Saints", which boasts the lyrics "This is from our hearts/So suddenly a super chart to make some mistakes/We'll make some mistakes/Well it's a long time coming when your giving it everything." The lyrics I feel are more metaphoric and symbolized rather than straight to the point and message sending like some of their past lyrics were. The lyrics written for the new album though fit perfectly with the music and I'm sure the guys knew that. // 8

Overall Impression: The production on the album isn't that great which I don't like very much, but I have gotten used to it because a lot of Alexisonfire's work has been of poor production. This shouldn't take much away from the album though because it isn't horrible. The artwork for the album is a little weak as well, and not as creative and adventurous as their previous albums. Overall, Crisis is a great album, full of catchy hooks, infectious guitars, and screaming from George that complements everything I just mentioned. This album is definitely for fans of Alexisonfire, and they will not be dissapointed with this album. Some critics are calling this album Watch Out! 2, and I can see where they are coming from, but I definitely get a different feeling with this album. It's a little darker, a little less poppy, but still the same old catchy Alexisonfire. // 8

Crisis Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 29, 2006

Sound: Alexisonfire haven't sold out yet, the CD is good I love the CD but it's not as rockin' as self-titled or "Watch Out!" "Watch Out!" being their best record to date. The songs are far poppier, less screaming orrentated and easier to hear lyrics. However the guitar is rather lacking on this record. // 6

Lyrics: The overall impression of the lyrics were they were trying way to hard, they seemed less from the gut and heart then the previous 2 records. Well the compliance of the lyrics with the music was rather good, but self-titled and watch out were far better and more fun to listen to. // 7

Overall Impression: Well I don't think you can compair alexis to any other band really they have a distintive sound. The Most impressive song was either Drunks, Lovers, Sinners & Saints or This Could Be Anywhere In The World. What I love about this album is that Wade gets to sing a bit more so his sneering tones adds a more of a fear element to the songs, I would however like to hear more from George and Dallas next album, also the drums weren't as on par this album as with the previous 2. I would buy it again if lost or stolen because it would complate my collection again and if I'm missing an album no matter how mediocre form a band I like I feel the need to re-buy it, over all it was ok for 14 bucks but it was no where near as good as it should have been. // 7

Crisis Reviewed by: Montego, on august 26, 2008

Sound: The Sound is lot different to "Alexisonfire" & "Watch out" relying more on Dallas' voice & a heavier reliance on hooks & sections instead of riffs & dynamic changes. It is clear the album was made for more of the mainstream audience to hear them. The song scructure has changed as they no longer have epic intros (no transitory, Pulmonary archery) or as many meodic breakdown sections (Hey, it's your funeral mama, A dagger through the hart of St Angeles). George has changed his screaming style, it's easier to understand him & his sentences are actually connected instead of the one syllable at a time screaming on previous albums. Wade gets more of a sing, which is good cause I think he has a great voice & it also adds another element to their music, a kind of balance between George's screaming & Dallas' melodic style. took a while to get used to, still working on it, but overall a good introduction for new fans. Old fans might be put off. // 7

Lyrics: Definate maturation. Dallas has almost taken over as the lead singer with a lot more parts going to him & george has become more of a back up & his screaming has become more user friendly & understandable, his singing style has changed as he now sings in full sentences instead of the detached single syllable style on previous albums. Wade gets more of a sing, which I think is a good thing as he has a great voice. "Boiled frogs" is an example of sharing the singin roles as all three of them have a verse each. // 8

Overall Impression: Pretty good all round, but in my opinion lacking compared to both previous releases. Some of the stand outs are "Boiled frogs", "To a Friend" "This could be anywhere in the world" & "We are the end", with all of them showing signs of the old alexis but also showing the necessary growth. The one track that I think should be left to rot wallowing in a pool of it's own sorrow is "Rough Hands", this song shows too much of a City & Colour influence to be regarded as Alexisonfire and seems to have been thrown in for the mainstream audience. Aside from that, this album is quite good for old & new & will still stand Alexisonfire out from many other bands in their genre. // 8

Crisis Reviewed by: Wicky_7, on december 01, 2008

Sound: The album opens perfectly with a shout of "ALRIGHT!" from George, instantly showing the bands aggression in this album. although the opening track is average, something new for alexisonfire, this album is probably their most solid yet. Seven of the total eleven tracks on the album are stand out's and all but Drunks, Lovers, Sinners and Saints as well as You Burn first, are all very solid tracks. Songs such as We Are The Sound and Crisis feel like they were made to get the crowd up and going during performances, and they do just that. The singles of the album (this could be anywhere, boiled frogs, and rough hands) were all to be expected, but with Rough Hands being the different of the 3, being a "slow jam" as George would put it. It should be noted all 3 singles are melodic and emotional compared to the aggresive, catchy songs that fill the rest of the album. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are arguably the biggest progression of the band being a lot less random and lot more serious. Singing about topics such as a former member (Jesse Inglevics), a hatred for the city they grew up in (Mailbox Arson & This Could Be Anywhere In The World) and family issues (Boiled Frogs), this band seems a far cry, lyrically, who just on their previous album was singing about go carting. // 9

Overall Impression: Although the same band the style of this band has audibly progressed leaving the listener happy with the new sound and evident path taken. However to those were fans of Alexis' previous work will be at a loss from the more artistic and energetic albums of the band. With watch out! having a more atmospheric, experimental sound and the self titled having a youthful enegery this album may seem lack luster or mainstream for current fans. However this album has obvious gems (the singles) and others that will take some looking for, tracks such as To a Friend, which could be considered one of the bands best and most underrated songs to date. As well, the B-side Thrones, a poppy song (which is maybe why it was left off the album) shows a more polished side of the band but is none-the-less another song that could be considered one of their best songs to date. That being said, this album is definetly a classic and deserves all the recognition it recieves. // 8

Comments