Old Crows / Young Cardinals review by Alexisonfire

• Released: Jun 23, 2009
Alexisonfire: Old Crows / Young Cardinals

Upon first listen, Old Crows/Young Cardinal seems like the type of album that might not impress fans of the band's older stuff. For me, being a fan since their self-titled album, I still like it quite a bit. Also on first listen, you might think that they got a new "screamer". Not so. While George's style of screaming/growling changed, he is able to pull it off in a way that sounds cohesive with the music and maintains a fresh sound. The clean vocals Dallas provides for the sound have always blown me away, and it's nothing short of amazing all over the album. Wade's vocals are harder to distinguish between George's new style, but he's still there in parts. The guitar work, while not too flashy overall, is still perfect for the type of sound Alexisonfire is trying to convey. It works well, just as it always has. Chris opens up the album on "Old Crows" with a nice dirty bassline, but is overall hard to hear among most of the songs. The drumming on all of the tracks is stellar and the fills that Jordan lays down are all pretty sweet. Overall, I like the direction this album went. Some fans might call it a departure from their old sound, but I feel like it's a pretty fresh turn after Crisis, which in my opinion is their best album to date. Sure it isn't perfect, but Old Crows/Young Cardinals will be playing on my computer for a while.

Dallas' vocals as mentioned are nothing short of perfect, as always, and George's new style is pretty surprising at first. It kind of makes me wonder if it was choice or if he was sort of vocally forced to switch his style due to problems. It takes a lot of effort to produce the type of sound he used on the three previous albums, so I'm leading toward him not being able to scream like he used to. Which I'm okay with. I would hope they keep making music in the future and if he is unable to do what he used to, fair play. I like the way he changed his style and I'll accept it. Plus, it's easier to understand him, and he does have a couple of moments that throw him back to days of Watch Out! Or Crisis.

The last track, Burial, is amazing. Definitely not something you'd expect from the band. This track really closed out the album in an awesome way, making it potentially one of my favorite albums of theirs, ahead of Watch Out! and just behind Crisis, if I had to place them. While I like their self-titled a lot as well, I feel like if they re-recorded it, it could be even better than it is. But Old Crows/ Young Cardinals really makes me excited to see these guys live for the first time, hopefully after Warped Tour when they possibly tour in the U.S. Since I'm listening to the leak, there's no way it could get stolen from me, but I do plan on going out and buying this on. If you are a fan of the band, I'd recommend you do the same.

RFrecka
    fartsyjoe420
    i think this album is great. took me about 2 listens through to figure out what the hell they were doing on it. but overall i really dig it. obviously not quite as good as watch out!, but i really like the album.
    diefordethklok
    I'm american. Sadly. I like to refer to myself instead, as an Ashamed United Statesian. Because first and foremost, americans are arrogant to call themselves as such.
    wobneb
    Icarus166s wrote: intentionsthere wrote: Whoever was comparing Dallas's vocals to Bono... not cool man, not cool. That was definitely not cool. Bono is only ok. Dallas Green is the best singer of the last decade.
    lol...
    scarfacesuit
    I dig this album. Crisis is still my favorite, but with every listen this one is coming closer to that top spot =D
    zack_ritch
    This album is Amazing! I gave a copy to my father who is nearly fifty, and he also loves it. For those who say George can't scream the same as he used to be able to, He still can. I saw them in Toronto in June for Edgefest. But those who like the older albums more I totally understand why.
    AshleyUseless
    man... i love this album! the less screaming is kinda different than their other stuff but George's throat must want a change.
    octopig
    ok seriously, are you dennying the things your country cause's? -next to china, your the leader in emmisions causing global warming -your country is in massive debt -and you guys helped start a fight over in third world countries like afganistan and such ...so dont hate on us canadians when were risking our lives on peace keeping missions, pulling your collective heads out of your asses, just cause were too cool to see people hurt, in a fight you started. on another note, im not a fan of this album either, i mean, just scream georges parts in your head ,and you'll find out how good this album could have been, imo
    SkyFromCircuit
    part of me died when i read the comment about dallas being better than bono. suffering from after shock right now..
    Z Standard
    classrock77 wrote: JTaylor21 wrote: Also, the anti-America song really pissed me off. Those Canadian ****s really have their collective heads up their asses. ... we're above you guys in more than one way. oh wait, you americans don't know where anything is in the world, besides yourself. well, Look at a map to find Canada, see if your intelligent enough to piece it together.
    SkyFromCircuit
    I am canadian! Go Canada!!
    Recs87
    this CD is so dope. def one of their best... I love the old stuff but I can actually listen to this front to back and not have a headache! born and raised is a dirty tune. I saw them live the other day at the secret show in St catharines and it was insane. they perform so well live, and when they play the old song with the new style its so sweet.
    Silenced7
    To those saying that they would be better without the screaming: They wouldn't be where they are without them. The reason they are huge is because the scene in southern ontario is mostly hardcore, and they were one of the best hardcore bands to ever play in southern ontario, along with Shotgun Rules and Silverstein.
    21stcentury
    This album is amazing, it clearly shows the bands growths and strengths. George can still scream really well, he just does not want to do it anymore, because he does not want to go out as a screamo band. If you look at old videos of Alexisonfire playing old songs, they still sound amazing, and george can still do it. The band can still do everything they once could, and much much more. Once of the best albums ever...
    MiniMusicMasta
    MiniMusicMasta
    It's good, but not as good as any of their others. Watch Out is an essential in my opinion. It's a perfect album. Just doesn't let up. And Crisis was a nice change. Loved that. And self-titled was where it all started, so no bitching on that. OC/YC is good though.
    Nightwatchman10
    It's a decent album first few listens through. Musically very pleasing. George's new vocal style is good I personally think, but I do miss his screams. But yeah, I like it. It'll take me a while to get into properly, before I start pleasuring myself over it as I did with 'Crisis'.
    boogievan
    This album is pretty decent, I liked it as much as 'Crisis'. But I got to agree with some of you guys, 'Watch Out!' is one the greatest albums ever.
    JTaylor21
    Z Standard
    JTaylor21 wrote: octopig wrote: ok seriously, are you dennying the things your country cause's? -next to china, your the leader in emmisions causing global warming -your country is in massive debt -and you guys helped start a fight over in third world countries like afganistan and such ...so dont hate on us canadians when were risking our lives on peace keeping missions, pulling your collective heads out of your asses, just cause were too cool to see people hurt, in a fight you started. Yep, I'm dennying it. I usually do that at Denny's. Anyways, you're a stupid Canadian faggot, and you're just jealous of America. It's like the same reason that everyone that doesn't live in L.A. hates the Lakers, cause they ****ing dominate everyone. I hope you someday come to terms with being inferior.
    What are you? Twelve?
    Z Standard
    This album is pretty average in my opinion. It's not bad by all means, just different for me and I prefer their old ways. The highlights for me were Young Cardinals, Heading for the Sun and Burial. Burial is up there with Rough Hands as best ending song for me.
    metal_666_man
    i second what you said zoomzoom
    RFrecka
    classrock77 wrote: Z Standard wrote: Way to stereotype a whole country. I don't care what country you are from, but both you and Jtaylor21 make me sick. Im stereotyping you say? well how does it feel to be treated like the Canadian for once. "eh?" You people can deal out the discrimination and bias all you want, but as soon as someone does the same for once, you get contrary. Suck it up. Its your own medicine.
    +1 I like your moves haha
    .:Metal Boy:.
    pyritmann wrote: metal_666_man wrote: zoomzoom wrote: RFrecka wrote: I personally liked the higher pitched screams from Watch Out! and the self titled but I thoroughly enjoy this album still JTaylor21 wrote: I'm not a huge fan of this album. First off, some of the lyrics that Dallas sings in the choruses get pretty awkward, especially in Young Cardinals. Also, the anti-America song really pissed me off. Those Canadian ****s really have their collective heads up their asses. On another note you should consider all the bullshit we put up with from American shows bashing our culture in every way before commenting on something so trivial as a single song. Maybe you should open your eyes and realize you're still in your own ass. +1. well said bro.i second what you said zoomzoom +1 to the Canadians, Canadians have to put up with some much from america. I love americans but i cannot stand your government a lot of the time, and their anti american songs are intelligent, not just I HATE THE U.S. they cant stand what your government is doing just as much as the rest of the world cant. Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    +1, Im from Australia and have a crap load of Canadian mates as well as American so theres nothing wrong with the people its just that the American government has a habit of making themselves look like a fully developed world class boxer with the brain of an 8 year old that has to have something to do with everything thats going on, and good intentions dont mean a thing when people are being killed. And on the topic of Old Crows/Young Cardinals, its following the natural progression of a bands sounds, everything is clearly defined and intentional, the structures and guitar work are alot clearer and easier to appreciate than on the previous albums and actually being able to appreciate George's lyrics is nice instead of taking a year of listening to be able to understand it all, and the contrast between dallas, george and wade is what makes this music interesting, if it was just the dallas show it would be to monotonous and we'd get bored after the second play through, it works in city and colour but not here with the more intense feel of the music. On another note, Ratbeards tom fills on the song Young Cardinals are killer.
    thedugout
    i have nothing against bands changing.. as long as it is for the better.. also i dont just listen to music, i play a variety of instruments (and i'm canadian.. thanks for the kudos)
    txc88
    wow i just got to start off by sayin some of you people dont think!! if you didnt like crisis(which kicked ass)then why would you waste your time to buy this album!?! the self titlted and Watch out!(both sucked huge @ss) are screamo! and crisis and the new one are POSTHARDCORE there is a diff. learn somthing before you comment. the reason the vocal styles change is because they GROW UP! and night after night of doing screams at shows your vioce changes from the stress(you try it).and if they re-did ST and watch out! it would sound just like they do now.why because things change! example a7x- torn vocal chords which lead to a new vocal style. and as instrumentals go ST and watch out have really good stuff. but gets old fast. and you cant beat the unorthadox drum and guitar patterns on crisis and young/old. you people that play these instruments learn how to play one song from each album and see wich one pisses you off more trying to learn how to play them.they change ways because they get older and better. so if you just listen to music you should not comment because you cant play so you would not know about styles and why people in these bands change their stuff. and i have to give credit to these guys for dissing our gov +1 to the canadians.
    thedugout
    this album flat out blows, alexis used to be my favourite band by far until the third album.. it seems Jesse Ingelevics took the bands soul with him when he left
    pyritmann
    guitarboy34
    this album is a big step back for alexisonfire..i don't know what you hear to give it a 9.3. Even the "catchiness" factor alexisonfire had is gone
    xSUNxOFxNOTHING
    haha this album is pretty much crap. the screaming does nothing to accent the music, and the good vocals are drowned out by mediocrity. alright riffs, im not gonna lie, but the shitty screaming just turns me off of this band. also those of you nationalistic-types up there, way to blame a government which has been under immense scrutiny and has divided the country since Nixon's term. if it were up to the average people, things would be very different.
    JTaylor21
    RFrecka wrote: On another note you should consider all the bullshit we put up with from American shows bashing our culture in every way before commenting on something so trivial as a single song. Maybe you should open your eyes and realize you're still in your own ass.
    Well I'm sure you would be all upset if one of your favorite bands made fun of homosexuals, just like I'm upset that these guys are too bigoted to realize that Canada isn't all that great.
    zoomzoom
    +1. well said bro.
    dieamberdie
    MiniMusicMasta wrote: Tedward wrote: personally i think that they would be way better without the screamer vocalist. The song Young Cardinals made me respect Dallas Green as a vocalist so much more. WOAH! AOF would not be anywhere near as good without George. They're a great band, but they wouldn't be anywhere near as good without George or Dallas. George and Dallas are two MVP's of modern music.
    i think its Dallas and Wade that bring so much to the table. i get alot of crap for it but Crisis is my #1 all time favorite album because you can really hear and feel all the emotion that went into the guitar work and the vocals. i haven't quite had the time to sit down and give Old Crows/Young Cardinals a real honest "listen" yet however from what i've listened to so far on the drive to and from work their sound has certainly progressed but not in a bad way. i can only dream of how their next album will sound. Alexisonfire is one of those bands that ages like fine wine. it just gets better with time.
    classrock77
    JTaylor21 wrote: Yep, I'm dennying it. I usually do that at Denny's. Anyways, you're a stupid Canadian faggot, and you're just jealous of America. It's like the same reason that everyone that doesn't live in L.A. hates the Lakers, cause they ****ing dominate everyone. I hope you someday come to terms with being inferior.
    the world hates you, nobody denies that. So shut up and stop complaining.
    Shredder XXX
    Loved this album, I wasn't particularly fond of their last two. Screamo gone Rock gone Punk generally doesn't do it for me anyway. But OC/YC is a gem in the proverbial pile of shit that music is these days. Standout song for me is "The Northern", the vocal layering is phenomenal . And, I love this chorus "We are not the kids we used to be, stop wishing for yesterday", kinda sums up the whole aim of the album.
    mr_snuggle
    H_ngm_n Not cool because Dallas is on a whole different level than Bono, Listen to City and Colour, Dallas' voice is absolutely breathtaking.
    +1, ftw
    G.to.the.MaC! : Watch Out! will never be topped!
    i couldnt agree more, probably one of my all time fav albums. it still felt like the self title, but it was incredibly epic, not to mention immensely beautiful. Watch Out! is infintessimally better than crisis. crisis was good, but it was just too...dirty sounding i guess? and not all of the songs were memorable. i would make babies to Watch Out!
    dwmacfar2
    I liked the album a lot actually. I'm one of those people who listens to lots of styles of music and is always open to a band changing styles like Alexisonfire did. The new album is a bit softer, but that's not always bad. After hearing the album I throughly enjoyed it. Their old stuff is great too of course, but you got to realize these guys have said all along that they didn't want to stick to the same thing, and they wanted to change a little bit over time, and it's what they're doing.