Old Crows / Young Cardinals review by Alexisonfire

• Released: Jun 23, 2009
Alexisonfire: Old Crows / Young Cardinals

One of Canada's best export, Ontario post-hardcore rockers, Alexisonfire bring to the table their best work yet! It's been out for about 2 years now, so I'll assume a lot of have heard it or the bands previous work. For those who have just discovered Alexisonfire get this album immediately! (but still after reading this) First thing you will notice is vocalist George Pettit, who's explicit screamo moments are gone, in their place is a louder more rough but equally good vocal style, one that fits this album perfectly. George still alternates vocal duties with rhythm guitarist Dallas Green, who voice sounds just as beautiful as it ever does. (check his one man side project, City And Colour.) Lead guitarist Wade Macneil, also lends some backing vocals, bassist Chris Steele and drummer Jordan Hastings still keep time and our energetic as usual. (see them live you'll see what I mean.)

The themes and lyrics are quite similar to 06's "Crisis." The ideas are 'mature' compared to their earlier work. With songs like "Accept Crime", dealing with the prejudice towards homosexual/lesbian and gays alike. "Sons Of Privilege"; America's standard way of thinking with the idea of liberty. "Born And Raised"; The way we are brought up effects are way of thinking throughout the rest of our life, with obvious complications. the title-track (or title tracks); The emotional and mental change from adolescent to adult. "Midnight Regulations"; How governments are biased and hypocritical. Even "The Northern" is based off a hymn called Roll Jordan Roll... Yes, this is Alexisonfire. Yes, these were once the screamo scene dudes from 2001, just all grown up.

Stand out tracks: Born And Raised. Sons Of Privilege. No Rest. Accept Crime. Emerald Street. Without a doubt, Old Crows/Young Cardinals is their most defined and their best album to date. It has that post-hardcore/punk feel. It has that Alexisonfire sound to it, that you've loved for years, just slightly altered, but for the better. In any case, i love this and if your a fan you will too, if your yet to be converted then this might just do it!

OceansBetweenUs
    I don't understand how they decided to change so dramatically from their first two albums. Definitely an influential band - but only because of their first two albums. The second two are decent - but no longer AoF IMO.