Watch Out! review by Alexisonfire

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Alexisonfire: Watch Out!

Alexisonfire has thankfully kept their sound consistent between albums. However, the quality has improved noticeably, and gives Watch Out! a more polished, professional sound. The guitar work is still great, and their use of melody and harmony has markedly improved, not to mention the greatly expanded vocal skill of George and Dallas.

Both Dallas and George are extremely skilled. The lyrics match with whomever sings them, and the lyrics match well with the music. Sometimes the songs don't make as much sense as some people would want, but personally, I like songs that are like that. On a number of occasions, I've come up with a story to go with the lyrics of each song, and every few listens I'll "discover" a new layer to the lyrics. This gives the album more longevity than I thought it would have.

Amazing. This is quite possibly one of the best albums I own, and easily the best of 2004. Right up there with Billy Talent (my other favourite band), Alexisonfire has coupled their own unique style with musical talent that surpasses nearly all current mainstream groups. The most impressive songs on the album are Control, It Was Fear Of Myself That Made Me Odd, No Transitory, and Happiness By The Kilowatt, all four of which show the lyrical skill and musical ability of every band member. The least impressive song on the album is That Girl Possessed, though only because the single sub-par part of the song is the amateur-esque drums during the verses. The rest of the song is great. I know everyone says this, but if I were to lose this album, I really would go out and buy it immediately. I could probably go about a week without it, but no more. Simply put, this album is excellent, and if you don't mind songs with a bit of screaming to go with the amazing vocals of Dallas Green, you should buy this album. You won't be disappointed.