Along Came A Spider review by Alice Cooper

• Released: Jul 29, 2008
Alice Cooper: Along Came A Spider

I view this as something of a cross between Alice's old stuff (ie. Billion Dollar Babies, Schools Out) and his heavier material (ie. Brutal Planet, Dragontown) and I really like the feel of this album. It's great to see Alice has retained most of his vocal ability (although don't expect his voice to be quite as good as it was 20/30 years ago). The guitar tones are wicked - a lot of people have heard 'Vengance is Mine' guest starring Slash, and that is probably one of the best songs on the album - its my favorite anyway. It fairly accurately shows how the album sounds, and while I wouldn't say all the songs are as good, overall the album is consistently good.

As I mentioned above, Alice has retained most of his vocal ability, but isn't the singer you will recognize from his classic albums. Firstly, the lyrics are much darker and I found at points even mildly scary! The album has a sort of 'plot' in which Alice is an arachnophobic serial killer... you get the picture!

Like I said, this album seems to have found a mid point between vintage Alice and his modern music. My favourite songs are without a doubt 'Vengeance is Mine', 'I'm Hungry' and 'Killed by Love'. I didn't like 'Wake the Dead' so much when I first heard it, and while it has grown on me a little it could definitely be described as a 'weak point' Even so, this album has convinced me - I'm going to see Alice live in his 'Theatre of Death' this december!

ImagineTheThorn
    guitarmaniac153 wrote: another cool part in this album is that Slash plays on the self tittled song
    No, Slash plays on "Vengeance Is Mine".