Brutal Planet review by Alice Cooper

• Released: Jun 6, 2000
Alice Cooper: Brutal Planet

Alice Cooper, for those who didn't know, is the originator of the highly controversial 'Shock Rock' genre. Yes, that is the music that Marylin Manson is famous for playing. Although Alice Cooper and Marylin Manson are of the same style of music, there is a fair bit of difference between them. Alice Cooper has very clear, sung vocals and has some pretty good songs on 'Brutal Planet'. There is the same heavy guitar riffs and solid drumming underneath it all, however.

Alice Cooper is the singer and although he doesn't have a hugely impressive singing voice, he is by no means lacking confidence and makes sure that he can be heard. Lyrics range from zombie hords to a love song, delivered in Cooper's own special way. Lyrics and vocals really carry this album and I'm glad to say that they are pretty outstanding, Cooper's simple vocals mixing perfect with the sometimes zany songs, the best of which being the title track, 'Brutal Planet' and the humorous 'Can't Sleep The Clowns Will Eat Me'.

This isn't one of Alice Cooper's best works, but gives a good picture of how he works and sounds. It isn't a bad album, but it isn't a really good album, either. The songs can get a bit repetitive and all of the spotlight is on Cooper, so other parts of the album, particularly the guitar work, just lack something. If it was taken I would spend my money on getting a different Cooper album, but rest assured that I would eventually get Brutal Planet once again.

HmTownHero1007
    alice is pretty cool. i heard he chucked a live chicken into an audience, and they ripped it apart and threw it back on stage
    King Krapp
    M.B.MetalTabber wrote: What are you on about teenrocker? 'Can't Sleep The Clowns Will Eat Me' isn't on this album, and this album has much more fascinating guitar work than most of his other albums - it is by far his best band line-up to date, and how can you say that he doesn't have an impressive singing voice? Listen to Sanctuary, how many other SINGERS do you know who could TALK throughout a song and still have it sound amazing. Oh, and the songs are not repetative. I might as well have done my own review of the album hadn't I?!
    Can't sleep clowns will eat me IS on this album. Technically, his singing voice is unimpressive, but in terms of sound, it's great. I think that's what teenrocker is trying to say, and I agree with him.
    M.B.MetalTabber
    Well, howcome I have the deluxe two-disc edition, and it isn't on either of those discs then? Answer that.
    M.B.MetalTabber
    Sorry, just found out, Japan-Only bonus track, released on Limited Press in 2000. I dunno why the deluxe edition doesn't have that on it though
    metal jello
    Shredder Guitar wrote: and hes on waynes world to lmfao
    Whoa, GREATEST MOVIE EVER ('cept for Spinal Tap)