Love It to Death review by Alice Cooper

• Released: Mar 8, 1971
Alice Cooper: Love It to Death

This was the Alice Cooper Group. Back when there were five of them. Alice Cooper (Vincent Furnier), Michael Bruce on rhythm guitar, Glen Buxton on lead guitar, Dennis Dunaway on bass, and Neal Smith on drums. This is one of Alice's finest albums. It bears the signature sound and mood that made the band as famous as they were. The sound had come a long way since the previous two psychedelic experiments. This is the Classic Cooper Sound. It is too idiosyncratic to describe in words, just listen to the studio "I'm Eighteen", which originally appears on this album to get a taste. This was the band's breakthrough album, and the first album to have individually penned songs. The previous two were entirely written by all five. It also saw rise to the "mad" Alice, with the classic "Ballad of Dwight Fry", that began the part of the show with a straight jacket. It was also the first album with now legendary producer Bob Ezrin, who played piano on some songs (most notably Second Coming and Ballad of Dwight Fry). PS, for all those who are familiar with the later day "metal" Alice, this may take some getting used to.

The lyrics are the most varied on any album, for this album had the most individually penned songs, two Bruce, one Dunaway, one Smith and one Cooper amongst others. Caught In A Dream is an up tempo rocker's song about the want of possessions and a better life, then realising that you are, in fact, caught in a dream. I'm Eighteen is a song about teenage angst, and the band's first hit. Long Way To Go is another rocker's song, "we still have a long way to go". Black Juju is the longest song on the album, reaching 9:09, and is about sex. Is It My Body is another easy to read label. Hallowed Be My Name is of a religious matter, obviously. Second Coming is about Jesus Christ. Ballad Of Dwight Fry is about an insane man who escaped hospital. Sun Arise is a cover of the Rolf Harris song.

This is the best Alice Cooper album I have ever heard, it is essential. The stand out songs are Caught in a Dream, I'm Eighteen, Black Juju, Hallowed Be My Name, Second Coming and Ballad of Dwight Fry. I love this album for it's originality, it is so amazingly brilliant, in a different way. The five of them had a magic between them that only few bands have. There is nothing I hate about the album. If it were stolen I would kill to get another copy. It is one of the two quintessential albums (along with Killer). It is entertaining and underrated, just like the band that made it.

BlueOyster23
    The best Alice Cooper album? Maybe if you consider Alice Cooper(solo) and Alice Cooper(band) to be two different bands.
    Joker12630129
    I agree that Love It To Death is their best work, and Killer follows a close second... It all pieces together, crafty guitar work, growling vocals and etc etc... bizaare lyrics, depressing even... its insane.. and i love it..