Love It To Death Review

Alice Cooper: Love It To Death
Release Date: Jan 1971
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Love It To Death was the first of a string of classic releases from the original Alice Cooper group.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.8
 9.9
 9.6
Love It To Death Reviewed by: Big Tommy P, on october 13, 2006

Sound: This was the Alice Cooper Group. Back when there were five of them. Alice Cooper (Vincent Furnier), Michael Bruce on rhythm guitar, Glen Buxton on lead guitar, Dennis Dunaway on bass, and Neal Smith on drums. This is one of Alice's finest albums. It bears the signature sound and mood that made the band as famous as they were. The sound had come a long way since the previous two psychedelic experiments. This is the Classic Cooper Sound. It is too idiosyncratic to describe in words, just listen to the studio "I'm Eighteen", which originally appears on this album to get a taste. This was the band's breakthrough album, and the first album to have individually penned songs. The previous two were entirely written by all five. It also saw rise to the "mad" Alice, with the classic "Ballad of Dwight Fry", that began the part of the show with a straight jacket. It was also the first album with now legendary producer Bob Ezrin, who played piano on some songs (most notably Second Coming and Ballad of Dwight Fry). PS, for all those who are familiar with the later day "metal" Alice, this may take some getting used to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the most varied on any album, for this album had the most individually penned songs, two Bruce, one Dunaway, one Smith and one Cooper amongst others. Caught In A Dream is an up tempo rocker's song about the want of possessions and a better life, then realising that you are, in fact, caught in a dream. I'm Eighteen is a song about teenage angst, and the band's first hit. Long Way To Go is another rocker's song, "we still have a long way to go". Black Juju is the longest song on the album, reaching 9:09, and is about sex. Is It My Body is another easy to read label. Hallowed Be My Name is of a religious matter, obviously. Second Coming is about Jesus Christ. Ballad Of Dwight Fry is about an insane man who escaped hospital. Sun Arise is a cover of the Rolf Harris song. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the best Alice Cooper album I have ever heard, it is essential. The stand out songs are Caught in a Dream, I'm Eighteen, Black Juju, Hallowed Be My Name, Second Coming and Ballad of Dwight Fry. I love this album for it's originality, it is so amazingly brilliant, in a different way. The five of them had a magic between them that only few bands have. There is nothing I hate about the album. If it were stolen I would kill to get another copy. It is one of the two quintessential albums (along with Killer). It is entertaining and underrated, just like the band that made it. // 10

Love It To Death Reviewed by: ozzypossum, on september 01, 2009

Sound: This album is not for your 80's Alice Cooper fans, it is for the loyal fans of the Coop. The sound of this album is perfect, I can't stop listening to it. This album was released in 1971 while Alice Cooper was still the name of the band, and not the solo project that would be formed by Vincent (sorry, Alice) in 1975. This album has a couple of really well known songs like "I'm Eighteen" and "Is It My Body," but there are so many great tracks on this album. The sound varies from Classic Rock/Proto Metal guitar sounds to heavy ballsy ballads of pure awesomeness. I am not over exaggerating this album's sound, it is amazing. Starting off the album with the dream of being rich and famous in "Caught in a Dream," with the pains of being 18 in "I'm Eighteen" following close behind. The album does not stop being great there, with the classic "Long Way to Go" about how the band had, well, a long way to go (which they did). Next we have the 9 minute, psychedelic masterpiece of "Black JuJu," which speaks for itself, a classic Cooper song. Next we have the "ode to sex" song, "Is It My Body" which is still played in Alice's live show today (along with "I'm Eighteen" and "Ballad of Dwight Fry.") Then we have "Hallowed Be My Name," a song about hypocrisy in the church. Next we have the song "Second Coming" which seems to be about Jesus Christ. What is weird about it is that not only was Vincent not a Christian yet when this album came out, but it leads into the song "Ballad of Dwight Fry" which is about a man in a psycheatric hospital. After "The Balad of Dwight Fry" comes "Sun Arise" which is actually a cover song. This album is essential. 10 out of 10 // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics vary alot like the sound does. The lyrics contain everything from teenage angst, to voodoo, to Christianity, to insane asylums, to sex. Again, the lyrics vary alot. I believe the best lyrics on the album can be heard in "I'm Eighteen," "Ballad of Dwight Fry," and "Second Coming." All of these songs have totally different meanings from eachother, so I'll make this as fast and not confusing as possible. "I'm Eighteen" is about a man who is 18 and is basically telling the dark side of being a man, contrary to most beliefs about being 18. "Second Coming" seems to be a song where Vince is singing as Jesus Christ like in the lyric "It would be nice to walk upon the water, and talk with two angels by my side" which that alone is a great lyric. Too bad Alice Cooper hasn't performed that song since 1971. "The Ballad of Dwight Fry" chronicles the story of a man in the insane asylum who is haunted by the memories of seeing a man die. This song is a great view at hearing what it is like for a man's mind to implode upon itself. Another 10/10 // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album gets a 10. I will fight anyone who says this is not the best album the Alice Cooper group has ever put out. Every single song on here is an amazing experience to listen too. The only albums in the Alice Cooper catalog that could rival this is "Killer" and Alice solo album "Welcome to My Nightmare." Overall this album is better than both albums. I can't really recommend any artists who are like this album, maybe The Beatles, maybe The Doors, maybe Deep Purple, in some instances Black Sabbath, but still, this is album is perfect. // 10

Comments