Trashes The World [DVD] review by Alice Cooper

• Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 7
Alice Cooper: Trashes The World [DVD]

I can remember the first time I had ever heard Alice Cooper. I was three years old, and "Poison" was the current hit single by the granddaddy of shock rock. The video was captivating, the song wormed it's way into my brain, and from that point on, I was hooked on anything this man put out. The first Cooper concert video I ever saw was "The Nightmare Returns", and it's something I still enjoy to this day. However, there's a concert video that, to me, trumps "...Nightmare Returns". Bear witness to "Alice Cooper Trashes The World". "...Trashes The World" is a concert video from 1990 of a performance in England at the Birmingham International Arena. With a new band in tow, Cooper blazes through many of the tracks from 1989's "Trash", as well as a few older favorites, like staples "I'm Eighteen" and "Ballad Of Dwight Fry", as well as other chestnuts such as "Desperado" and "Muscle Of Love." Long available only on VHS, this was released on DVD in November of 2004. The movie is still remarkably as fresh and vibrant as it was when it was released, and the edgy take on many of the classics ("Gutter Cats Vs. The Jets" is a stand-out example) gives a new audience a modern taste of Cooper pre-"Trash" era.

Content — 9
The DVD features the concert and the concert only, the closest you get to a special feature of any type is a song selection list on the main menu. There's a certain something missing from this DVD, "...Nightmare Returns" wasn't exactly a feature-laden DVD, but it did contain two music videos ("Freedom" and "Teenage Frankenstein"). "Trashes The World" features nothing but the show. It's not like special features are essential to a DVD, but the inclusion of at least a music video from this era of Cooper or two wouldn't be asking too much. Maybe even an interview. The set list itself is killer. Cooper blends the old and new seamlessly, all performed against an eerie, Hellraiser-esque stage set. From the opening strains of "Trash" to the last echoes of "Under My Wheels", this concert keeps your attention as only a Cooper show can. Everyone here gives it their all and gives one entertaining show that's good until the last drop. Song list: 01. Trash 02. Billion Dollar Babies 03. I'm Eighteen 04. I'm Your Gun 05. Desperado 06. House Of Fire 07. No More Mr. Nice Guy 08. This Maniac's In Love With You 09. Steven 10. Welcome To My Nightmare 11. Ballad Of Dwight Fry 12. Gutter Cats Vs. The Jets 13. Only Women Bleed 14. I Love The Dead 15. Poison 16. Muscle Of Love 17. Spark In The Dark 18. Bed Of Nails 19. School's Out 20. Under My Wheels There's one extra track that plays over the credits ("Only My Heart Talkin'") that's not live. It won't satisfy every fan, those who flock to Alice Cooper more or less for the theatrics may be shocked to know that this isn't a show where every stop is pulled. Sure, many trademarks are present (the guillotine, the strait jacket, the nurse, and a couple of ghoulish baddies during "Welcome To My Nightmare), there's a gang fight during "Gutter Cats...", and "Only Women Bleed" is done theatrically to chilling effect, but there's less of an emphasis on theatricality compared to other Alice Cooper concerts. On the other hand, a few other fans who love the Alice Cooper Group days will balk at the modern sound added to many of their old favorites. However, there's enough here to keep everyone satisfied for one reason or another. It's also good enough to introduce a younger generation to the man who shocked mom and dad's mom and dad so many years ago.

Production Quality — 7
This isn't a DVD that will thrill the sound nut who wants to hear Alice Cooper in all his maniacal glory in 5.1 Surround. The sound on the DVD is 2.0 stereo, which works, but, as I said, won't thrill the sound nut. While the transfer is great, it's all-around essentially the same as the VHS, with a few tricks added, perhaps, but they aren't very noticeable if they're there. This DVD passes on the picture transfer alone. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Compared to other artists, this still shows by and far why Alice Cooper is the granddaddy of shock rock! As 1990 slips farther and farther away, this part of Cooper's history still remains remarkably fresh. There are still fans out there who enjoy Cooper's late-'80s comeback, as it proved to everyone that the snake still had all of his bite, with bark to back it up as well. The most impressive thing about this DVD is seeing Alice Cooper's comeback coming full-circle, the master unleashing his fury on a packed arena of followers old and new. I love the vibrance and the passion of the concert displayed on this DVD, hell, I love the concert itself. Alice Cooper gives us everything but the kitchen sink here. It's too bad that it seems as if the company squandered on the production quality of the re-release. There are many things which could have been done much, much better. This release deserves more! If it were stolen, I would most definitely get it again. While there are definitely Alice Cooper concert DVDs which are by and far more well-produced (check out "Brutally Live" and the re-release of "Good To See You Again" as perfect examples), this is still a standout effort. Like I've said before, the concert alone is enough to draw you in. A treat for the old fans, an introduction for the new ones, "Alice Cooper Trashes The World" is a great effort all around.

I am the Drake
    This is a pretty good dvd. I've had it for a while. Alice needs to release a concert box set. That would be nice.