Welcome 2 My Nightmare review by Alice Cooper

• Released: Sep 13, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Alice Cooper: Welcome 2 My Nightmare

Alice Cooper returns with a sequel to his 1975 concept album, Welcome to my Nightmare.' The premise of this album is not a good one, considering that most sequel albums fall flat commercially. Unfortunately, this album must be considered to be on of those sequel albums. All of the songs sound far too similar, with absolutely no stand out tracks in the album. There are a few good songs, such as Caffeine and I'll Bite Your Face Off, but realistically these only sound good given the quality of the other songs on the album. The guitar on the album is actually quite impressive, with some very classic rock styled solos that do fit in seamlessly with the rest of the song. The riffs tend to be quite catchy, but as the album progresses it becomes repetitive and quite boring in some senses. The sound of the album is mainly classic rock, but there is massive variety of the type of songs on the album, ranging from the classic rock to pop punk.

The lyrics are not particularly interesting, falling into a mediocre stupor. However on a few songs there are better lyrics, such as during the opening track of the album, I am Made Of You. This is the only song that really has any half decent lyrics present on the album. Cooper's singing is mainly good, but at times the vocals go very hoarse, groggy, and almost cringe worthy.

There are actually good points to this album that do make it worth listening too, but don't expect this album to be spectacular. The wide variety of genres presents on the album does lead to quite interesting songs, and does manage to keep your interest piqued for a little while longer. Ultimately however, this album doesn't have the strength or stamina to make much of an impact on you.