Welcome To My Nightmare Review

Alice Cooper: Welcome To My Nightmare
Release Date: 1975
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Welcome 2 My Nightmare is the sequel to Alice Coopers first release as a solo artist titled Welcome To My Nightmare which was a concept album based around a child characters nightmares. Now that child has grown up, but his nightmares have returned.
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Welcome To My Nightmare Reviewed by: Just_Chaz, on january 31, 2007

Sound: It is 1975, disco music is just starting to pollute the airwaves, the original alice cooper group has split up, but alice returns once more and delivers his first album as a solo artist (with a new band he means). As for the sound, this album is much more intense than his other albums, he has experimented with the sound a little bit and it has most definately paid off. Once again the album has been structured in a way that all the songs compliment eachother, some of the songs are even ingrained in eachother. There is much more piano and synth effects on this album than his previous stuff, and he's put a lot of almost orchestral peices into it which give it a power you wouldn't expect to here from alice cooper. The songs are creepier, more chilling, and more beautiful, I remember the first time I heard the songs years ago and steven, as they drifted into eachother I felt my spine shiver and I was almost moved to tears by the music alone, there is something very powerful in the way this album has been orchestrated and the music is absolutely phenominal. There are other songs on the album that still stick firmly to it's classic/glam rock roots, but the sounds all compliment eachother so well it's like listening to something completely different. The guitars sound awesome using the same melodic high old fashioned distortion alice always uses, and the flanger and crazy spring reverb give it an added sense of horror. Overall the sound matches the name, welcome to his nightmare, what an awesome nightmare. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically most of this album isnt as great has some of his other albums, however they are still very good, alice still manages to make audiences cringe with songs like cold ethyl, and still gets audiences raving and screaming like lunatics with the department of youth. At the end of devils food into black widow, alice has tried something different by getting the voice of vincent price to act as the insect keeper at a zoo somewhere and share a bit of feminist philosophy with the world. However the real gems lie in the songs years ago, Steven and The Awakening, the saga of a complete psychotic who thinks the whole time he is dreaming, then wakes up to find that maybe he hasn't been, the song steven is even now hailed as one of the best songs he has ever written, certainly one of the best he performs live. // 8

Overall Impression: Like most alice cooper albums the beauty to this one lies in how all the songs come together and compliment eachother. This album takes you on an epic journey through the nightmares of a madman and leave you wanting to do it again at the end of it all. As I have stated before the best thing about this album is how powerful the music seems to be, the sounds pick you up and put you on another planet, one moment you're screaming at the top of your voice then the next you are paralysed by the shear power and awe the music thrusts at you. I recommend this album to anyone who understands the term "Sleep Logic" and anyone else who wants to listen to an album where all the songs actually sound different from eachother. // 10

Comments