Alice In Chains review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Nov 21, 1995
Alice in Chains: Alice In Chains

Musically this is Alice in Chains at their strongest, I personally think it's even stronger than Dirt, musically. Every song, even some of the worse song ones have great riffs, if nothing else. This shows how truly talented Cantrell, Inez and Kinney are. Stronger songs: Grind, Again, Sludge Factory.

This album, lyrically I think, is Alice's worst. The lyrics often resort to ooh and such, which isn't bad, but it's not lyrics. Some songs sacrifice meaning to get a rhyming word, which is not something you expect from excellent wordsmiths like Staley and Cantrell. This album sees Cantrell taking a lot more responsibility in the vocal department, with a lot of the songs being duets, of sorts between him and Staley. This creates a strong sound, harrowing at times. It also seems to experiment with a larger range of vocals from both singers, with a lot more high pitch singing, which works bloody well.

Not as strong as Dirt, but right up there. Alice in Chains is one of those few bands who left their legacy with few filler/rubbish songs to their name. Best songs would be Grind, Sludge Factory and God Am, but once again I must say that all of the songs are of an extraordinarily high quality.

Sp00nman94
    i feel that b/c it was mostly jerry, the new album (woot woot) will sound like this...remember that this was their only LP to reach #1
    freedomdeceptiv
    i havent listened to this cause line up changes always turn me off to new albums cause i loved the old bassists bass lines... layne staley is a genius, even if i cant spell his name!!!
    PANTERAFAN^666^
    I also didn't like the sound of Layne voice, but i did like Jerry CAntrell's, on grind and some of the other songs, this album would have been so much better if Layne song on his album like he did on future albums.
    Mainer
    Dirt is my favorite AiC album, followed by Facelift. Alice in Chains is okay, I don't think its their best work. Frogs, Sludge Factory, Grind, and Heaven Beside You are good, the rest. Ehh
    Jop222
    It's obvious that a lot of people reviewing here have no idea what they are talking about. I heard people say the best lyrics by Layne are grind and heaven beside you, which are ofcourse by Cantrell. The fact is that Layne's lyrics should be read as poetry and you should take the time to figure it out. I'd say that Layne's lyrics on this album are the best he wrote.