Black Gives Way To Blue review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Alice in Chains: Black Gives Way To Blue

While it has been fourteen years since their last studio album, the sound of Black Gives Way to Blue is pretty much the same dark sound as Alice In Chains's earlier albums, which is definitely a good thing: awesome riffs and extended solos on most tracks. The one track that stands out the most is the title track, Black Gives Way To Blue, (which, of course, is about the band's previous vocalist, the late and great Layne Stanley) as it features Elton John on piano.

The lyrics, written almost entirely by guitarist Jerry Cantrell, deal mainly on depression, grief, and hope. An example, from the song Acid Bubble: "And I always paid attention to the lines you crossed Forgive this imperfection it shows, and know I am the child that lives and cries in a corner Dies in a corner" Vocalist William DuVall's voice complies well with Cantrell's and with the music. Fortunately, he makes a conscious effort not to imitate Stanley, which would have been a distasteful thing to do, yet he has a similar style.

The most impressive songs on this album, in my opinion, are the first single, Check My Brain, A Looking In View, Black Gives Way To Blue, and my personal favorite, Private Hell. I like the darkness and sadness of this album, as it is done in a mature way (not in an "emo" way), although this mood is not for everybody.

Sickhick
    kurtshapedbox wrote: Man, I just reread my review and I must say the amount of amount of grammatical errors I made is embarrassing. Sorry guys. I was hoping this one would make up for my 3 other pitiful contributions to this site done when I was a little younger and a lot more stupid....however I think I failed at this task though improvement is evident. Great CD though!
    No, your review was really good. Mine was too short and lacking of detail, but it was the first time I've ever reviewed anything.
    Mookystinks
    this has got to be one of my new all time favorite albums to come out in a very, very long time. i love it. my two favorite son on the album is "A Looking In View" and "Last Of My Kind". i love all of their music.