Dirt review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Sep 29, 1992
Alice in Chains: Dirt

Just excellent. Cantrell, Starr, and Kinney are just fuckin' awesome players. The songs are distinct-each one of them is different. A lot of people like to shove these guys into the grunge category, but this is just because of the time they rose up. They have a lot more to do with metal than grunge like Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

Now, for the record, I don't like "whiner" bands. You know, those fuckers who won't shut up about how they're so depressed or their girlfriend dumped them? Well, the main reason I hate them is because they're all bullshit. This is real. Nothing about "Aw, my girlfriend dumped me, I'm so sad" or anything like that. This thing mostly does with drug addiction. I can't tell you how many people have sworn never to use drugs after hearing this stuff. Add to that that Layne Staley was a damn good singer and you've got some nice stuff going on in the vocal department.

Wow, the first review I've done where I had nothing but good to say. Huh, well, this is the album that got me into music in the first place. Last one with Starr too, and it's unfortunate that no other AIC album really does it like this one. That's not to say the other's aren't good-just that this one's the best. I'd buy this again if it got stolen, definitely. My favorite songs are "Them Bones" and "Sickman" and "Dam That River". Go buy this. You have to.