Dirt review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Sep 29, 1992
Alice in Chains: Dirt

Well, there's nothing else to say except it sounds great. Jerry's solos are so simple but so melodic. It was a great follow up to 'Facelift' and all of the guitar riffs were more metal than your normal 'Grunge'. They seemed like a depressing metal band stuck in the '90s. Some of the guitar riffs maybe were not as creative to that of 'Facelift' but 80% of the album was very innovative. Also, Layne and Jerry's vocal harmonoies are done exceptionally well.

Now I had only started to listen to Alice In Chains in 2000, but the second I heard 'Rooster' I was hooked. I figured what kind of deranged mind would create such haunting lyrics and addictive guitar riffs. One month later, I owned every album. A lot of the lyrics focud around drug addiction, for example, 'Junkhead ' and 'God Smack'. The song 'Rooster' revolved around Jerry's dad and him being a Vietnam veteran. In addition to these songs, others talked about suicide and just really dark topics.

Not many bands can pull of Alice In Chains' sound. Their sound was so original and new. You cannot comepare Alice In Chains to any other band, as I said, they were original and always will be considered original in my mind. The greatest songs on the album go as follows in my personal opinion. 01. Rooster 02. Junkhead 03. Godsmack 04. Down In A Hole 05. Them Bones All in all, this is a flat out spectacular album and I would recommend it to anyone.