Dirt review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Sep 29, 1992
Alice in Chains: Dirt

The hard-hitting, bareknuckles opener 'Them Bones' sets the tone for the rest of AIC's "Dirt" along with differentiating itself with a few of the other, softer tracks (i.e. 'Down In A Hole'). This album truly differs from any CD released in that year (most noteably, "In Utero" from Nirvana in 1992). The guitar work is syncopated and at the same time, nicely sustained throughout this masterpiece of a CD by Alice In Chains. The sound replicates days of metal and hair-bands in a way with hard riffs, but makes it known that this isn't a metal band. I love the different sounds Alice In Chains has than other bands I listen to. Certainly a wonderful escape from the usual.

Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley do a wonderful job with the lyrics. They make sense, but set a mood somewhat different than that of what you expect. The creativeness that they had was wonderfully complimented through the lyrics and the impact the vocal range and sound had.

This is the first CD from Alice In Chains I have owned, and I must say, it was well worth the price I paid for it. Some of the impressive songs that stick out in my mind that aren't usually heard on the radio would be 'Dam That River' and 'Would?' This is a must buy for those looking for a grunge and metal mix while retaining originality and awesomeness.