Dirt review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Sep 29, 1992
Alice in Chains: Dirt

Probably one of the best albums I've ever purchased. This album pretty much launched the "big paychecks" for Alice In Chains. I've listened to this album a lot and now I have my opinions together. First off, Jerry Cantrell did some ammazing guitar work on this album. He is about as grunge as it gets. Songs like "Them Bones" and "Down In A Hole" show you how powerful his guitar work is. They used some pretty cool techniques in their song construction. The songs that were really slow had some haunting and powerful verses, then just bursted into a heavy chorus, and the songs that were really powerful and punchy at first had some mellow parts to it. I think this album is very edgy and I love the sound.

As usual, Jerry did the majority of the song writing. Layne is a phenonenal vocalist and he really literally sang his ass off. Some songs on this album were about the Vietnam War (Rooster), drug addiction (Junkhead), and there's even a crazy spoof on Black Sabbath's Iron Man (Iron Gland). I really was impressed with the singing and songwriting on Dirt.

Love this album. If your really into the Seattle grunge movement and you listen to: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, etc. I really think you oughta look into Alice In Chains' Dirt. If I lost it I would more than likely buy it again. To me it defines grunge music and I think it will always go down as one of the best grunge albums ever recorded.