Dirt review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Sep 29, 1992
Alice in Chains: Dirt

Alice In Chains' 'Dirt' has got to be without a doubt one of the greatest metal/grunge albums to be produced ever. It has excellent guitarwork, excellent basslines, singing and drum work. Jerry Cantrell has created his own original style of riff-work which is dark, gloomy, drug influenced which worked perfectly with Layne Staley's vocal work. Some of the songs like 'Dirt', 'Junkhead' and 'Godsmack' have excellent riffs, and all the songs namely 'Rain When I die' have some beautiful guitarwork.

Layne Staley, is an excellent singer/frontman and will remain a legend to many (R.I.P. Layne Staley). Layne Staley had the skill of showing us what he was feeling through song. He has an excellent voice to suit many styles on this album. He has a harsh voice in the heavier songs and he can change it to suit acoustic/layed back songs. In the song 'Down in a Hole' both Staley and Cantrell perform beautifully, where they use some beautiful harmonizing and other voicework. Also Cantrell's and Staley's lyrics are excellent because they deal with the thoughts of death and drugs.

After listening to AIC's debut 'Facelift' it is hard to believe this is them on 'Dirt'. It is easy to see how this album along with Pearl Jam's 'Ten', Nirvana's 'Nevermind and Soundgardens 'Badmotorfinger influenced a whole generation of grunge rock. Dirt is without argue, Alice in Chains' greatest album. The most impressive songs on the album are Rain When I Die, Down In A Hole, Rooster, Junkhead and Would? I love this album and there is nothing on it which I hate, and if it were stolen I would buy it again.

South-of-Heaven
    The UK version of Dirt makes more sense, cos they put Down In A Hole second to last so the whole album makes more sense than if it was fourth. But anyways an AMAZING album.
    Ceresz
    I like the version where Down In A Hole is the second to last aswell Anyways, this album is just awesome. Every song is a hit. I have never skipped a song, not even "Iron Gland"
    CoreysMonster
    god, i love the last five bars of "Would?" "IF --- I ---- COULD ---- WOULD ---- YOU?" and then it's gone. awesome.
    Repitition
    While this is a great album I think there is too much heavy pummeling. That's why I think the best thing they ever did was Jar of Flies.