Facelift review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Aug 28, 1990
Alice in Chains: Facelift

Well, to start this review off, I'd just like to say that some of the other reviews didn't do this album justice. This is quite possibly my favorite album. My guitar teacher gave me an old Facelift tape X-Mas of '05. I'd already heard some Alice In Chains but it wasn't huge on them and I hadn't really that much on Facelift so I went home and put it on. I immediately fell in love with 2 songs, Sunshine and We Die Young. I couldn't stop and still can't listening to those songs. This album is chocked full of original and catchy riffs and some damn good solos. Jerry Cantrell is one of my favorite guitarists, not in the technical sense, but in the pure music making sense. Sure you can go a million miles an hour on the fret but does it matter if it sounds like crap? Layne's vocals are another thing that bring this album together. From eerie vibes you get from Love, Hate, Love, and I Can't Remember, to the catchy light melodies on Put You Down and on I Know Somethin' ('Bout You). The bass on drums on this album are also nothing to sneer at. I've noticed that a lot of people doing these reviews don't really touch on the awesome bass and drum work. They tend to focus more on the guitar and vocals, but give credit where credit is due. The bass and drums set a nice foundation for the whole album. All in all you'll get a nice mix of sounds from this band's first album.

Another thing is, right above the box I'm typing this in, it says, "Singer skills?" as something I assume to help you get started. But wouldn't that go in the Sound category? Just a thought. Anyway, again the lyrics are something I just can't get enough of. Also, as you'll find with the sound, you get a nice mix of lyrics. Take for example the lyrics for I Can't Remember. "Remember identity, the visions in my mind from screaming at me, but mama, mama, my angry brains of infnacy." Then look at the lyrics for I Know Somethin'('Bout You). "I'm gonna tell your papa. Yeh I'm gonna try and ball your babe. Your gold key don't fit my crapper, ain't got no shit today." Very different, kind of refreshing to.

Well, after all is said an done, this is a great album that you'll enjoy again and again. What else can I say? I can't really find one complaint about this album. It's one of my favorites, in some interviews they ask the artist, "What's the one album you can't live without?" well, if someone were to ask me that, I could safely say, "Alice In Chain's first album, Facelift."

Korntera
    I dont know what is better,facelift or dirt,AIC r awsome.layne can just sing so low.