Facelift review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Aug 28, 1990
Alice in Chains: Facelift

Along with Nirvana's Nevermind, Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, and Pearl Jam's Ten this album set the bar for seattle grunge rock. Everybody has their opinions, but I think this album had potential to be better. Yes, Man In The Box is an awesome tune, and yes this is a great album, but I strongly believe the guitar work on this album could be better, because Jerry Cantrell is amazing. It sounds like typical grunge music, which I love. Layne Staley's voice was at its best though during the recording of Facelift. Which brings out Jerry Cantrell's guitar work, Mike Starr's bass work, and Sean Kinney's phenomenal drums.

Lyrically, Layne is the epitome of grunge vocalists and it really shows on Facelift. Jerry is also a great songwriter. The lyrics went great with the music, and I think that is important in a good album. Layne is an excellent singer and I think he deserves more recogntion than what he got. RIP Layne.

My overall impression of this album is I think it deserves a 10. I bought this album when I was 11 years old used for $6.99 never hearing anything off of it. I thought the cover was cool and I wanted to hear their stuff. When I took it home and listened to it I was dumbfounded, it's that good. I strongly urge you to go pick up a copy. If I lost it I would definately go buy another one. If your into the '90s grunge sound (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, etc.) then I think you will enjoy this album as much as I did.

Roxie*420
    My favorite AIC CD a must have. Words cant express what this cd brought talent to its puriest. Just FUCKEN AMAZING.