Facelift review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Aug 28, 1990
Alice in Chains: Facelift

This album, arguably, started an new era of grunge that Nirvana and Pearl Jam would eventually popularize. Alice In Chains' metallic influences are immediately noticable from the demonic and fast paced first track, "We Die Young". The most notable song on the album is undoubtedly "Man In The Box," most likely the band's biggest hit ever. The following tracks display AIC's unique sound that is only further built upon in "Dirt" and "Alice In Chains".

Layne Staley's lyrics are very basic, but his voice is very distinguishable, aided by Jerry Cantrell's background vocals. Layne sings with a bleak and hopeless groan that is both frightening and melodic. Although lyrically bland, the sound of Alice In Chains is only improved on with Staley's brooding vocals.

Alice In Chains creates a style all their own with this release. An excellent starting point for a band poised to take over rock, yet destined to fall just as fast as they rose to the top. The debut album is an impressive look at what AIC would offer with their next album, "Dirt".

soundgardner
    it's a great album, no doubt about that, but it didn't start a new era of grunge. still, my favorite AIC album
    Mindcrime1038
    LifesSweetDrug
    Mindcrime1038 wrote: I actually love Facelift better than Dirt. Dirt is awesome, but I just like the more cohesive sense of aggression on this one. AIC rules, as I'm sure I don't need to tell anybody on here
    str84ever
    This is my least favourite AiC album the songs don't really do anything for me except a few of them. Maybe i should give it another listen. My favorite is tripod!
    Slayer 101
    Yea this album is better than facelift as all the songs are amazing, Dirt sometimes seems to be to gloomy with all the drugs. If you know what I mean, but I still love all the albums. dude thats what grunge is all about. there are drug refrenses in almost all aic songs
    Randaman
    stalefishtweak wrote: FEEyeee yeeahyeahayeeedd myyeeyy eyyyeeessss!!!!! (now you sew them shut) JEeeeeyyeeeyeyeyeyeyeysus CHriieesttt!!!! DEny your maker ..... This is the king of all choruses in my opinion..... whoever does the screaming over hear(not sure whether it was jerry or lane) deserves a standing ovation round of screaming applause!!!!! One Word.... Captivating!
    Fixed =D
    stalefishtweak
    FEEyeee yeeahyeahayeeedd myyeeyy eyyyeeessss!!!!! (I forget the second Line stupid me!!) JEeeeeyyeeeyeyeyeyeyeysus CHriieesttt!!!! DEny your maker ..... This is the king of all choruses in my opinion..... whoever does the screaming over hear(not sure whether it was jerry or lane) deserves a standing ovation round of screaming applause!!!!! One Word.... Captivating!