Jar of Flies review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Jan 25, 1994
Alice in Chains: Jar of Flies

After two very heavy albums by Alice in Chains ("Facelift" and "Dirt") "Jar Of Flies" is a pleasant surprise. The guitars cut through each track like a knife, but they never come close to cutting the vocals out. The result is a stunning mixture of top-notch guitar solos, bright acoustic guitar work and haunting melodies. Finding a song on this album as second best is hard when there isn't a bad or even average song on the album. Every song is equally amazing.

The lyrics are as always with Alice In Chains, great. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell are the go-to guys for depressing and painful lyrics, which fit perfectly with their singing. Layne Staley was an incredible singer and guitarist Jerry Cantrell is just as good. Together they create an amazing atmosphere in every song on "Jar Of Flies".

It's tough to find something bad about this album. Every song is a unique classic. Guitars are great, singing is great and although I haven't mentioned them yet, the rythm section does a great job on this album as well. Picking the best songs are hard, but my favorites are "Nutshell", "No Excuses" and "Don't Follow". If I lost this album I would immediatly buy it again, no question about it.