Jar of Flies review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Jan 25, 1994
Alice in Chains: Jar of Flies

After the EP "Sap", Alice In Chains followed with another acoustic-based EP- "Jar of Flies". "JOF" is refreshingly dark and apathetic from the first track, a six minute "Rotten Apple," to the jazzy "Swing on This". Inbetween are rock hits "Nutshell," where Jerry Cantrell's guitar talent is showcased beautifully, "No Excuses," exceptional drumming displayed by Sean Kinney, and the dark and gloomy verses of "I Stay Away". The mainly acoustic EP may be the group's best work.

Layne's lyrics aren't as powerful as on "Dirt", but he provides some lyrical depth with "Nutshell" and "I Stay Away". The vocals are less intense, and Staley shows off his softer vocals slightly more than in "Dirt". The atmosphere surrounding the album is very dark and depressing, yet Cantrell backs Staley beautifully on each track. Overall, the guitar work and vocals match up perfectly.

There is not much to be said about this seven song EP excpet that Alice In Chains delivers a smash hit with its compact, yet intricate songs. Jar of Flies is the first EP to ever reach #1 on the Billboard Music Charts, and it is obvious to see why it became so popular.

sambargun
    I love all the AIC albums, but for me, this is the best. Reasons are many, solid songwritng, intelligent and occasionally happy(thats a rarity for AIC) lyrics, superb production and a neat cover. Plus a marvellous instrumental piece(whale and wasp) and a track that sounds like an album filler(the last track). Not to be missed
    Ceresz
    I love this album, Nutshell, I Stay Away, and No Excuses are awesome tracks. Even though I prefer the Unplugged version of Nutshell I still love it and this album.
    jshizznit
    in my opinion,best alice in chains recording...powerful, life-changing stuff for me...ya know...best ALBUM PERIOD