Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Jun 29, 1999
Alice in Chains: Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box

Well, what can I say? Alice In Chains on the contrary to the money-scamming Best Of CD, this is actually a great compilation, that is a must-own for AIC fans, people who want to get into them, and also for someone who is just looking for a kickass CD that they can weld into their CD player and glue down play and repeat buttons. This disc is pretty much what the title states - Best OF The Box, with standout songs like We Die Young, Down In A Hole, and the ever-creepy Would? with its rumbling bassline. Despite this being a collection of songs rather than a proper album like, say, Dirt, every song flows into another with finesse sometimes not seen on other bands' proper releases. The dark Alice In Chains, melancholic Alice In Chains, Happy and Angry Alice In Chains - the CD is all those moods, while at the same time being full of melody, aggressive-yet-inventive riffs and vocal harmonies that were Alice's trademark and legacy.

Since this is a Best Of, there is not much to say about the lyrics that other people wouldn't have said. The lyrics indeed go with the music very well, Layne and Alice In Chains were very underrated, but the talent you hear on this collection is undeniable. The images Staley paints with his voice and lyrics send chills down your spine.

I'll just say this whenever I'm feeling uninspired, I put an Alice In Chains CD in my CD player. They are a truly amazing and inspirational band that no-one could touch, and this CD is certainly the proof of that. Standout songs are We Die Young, Down In A Hole, Man In The Box, No Excuses, Them Bones, and, of course, the eerie Would?. There is nothing to hate about this CD, and if something happened to it, I would definitely replace it. If these songs are Alice's legacy, then they can certainly be proud of what they accomplished.