Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Jun 29, 1999
Alice in Chains: Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box

Alice In Chains is one of the best bands ever! Some say they are a metal band, some say they are Grunge, but the fact is that they're great! In this album you can see their Metal roots in songs like "Them Bones" or "We Die Young." It also includes some of their hit singles "Would?", "Down In A Hole" or "No Excuses." There's also a new song called "Get Born Again," which is depressing, slow, heavy and awesome, and two live songs "Rooster" and "Got Me Wrong" (unplugged). This is just another document to proove how unique this band was.

When I bought the album, the only song I knew was "Would?", and I loved it since the first time I heard it on the radio. After listening to a half-part of the album, I recognized "Down In A Hole" and "Got Me Wrong" (I knew them before, but I didn't know they were from AIC). I also loved the other songs and listened to the CD over and over again! This is that kind of music you never get tired of, unless you really hate depressing songs. The lyrics are one of the strongest points of this debut. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell are both great songwriters and they really use their skills in the best way. All of the songs speak mostly abut drugs and death, but the harmony in the vocals/guitars make them "lighter" and more melodic. Another interesting thing is that you can notice the evolution of the band through the years. In the last songs, the lyrics are more depresive and sad, since Layne was dying. The sum of this points make Alice In Chains such an excellent band!

You can't compare this album to the other ones because this is a compilation. The most impressive aspect in this album is that the band didn't choose the hit singles for it! Instead, their choice was pointed to the most meaningful songs, which is awesome! If the album were stolen, I would certainly kill the thief! Buy it and you will love it!