The Nona Tapes [DVD] review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Dec 12, 1995
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 7
Alice in Chains: The Nona Tapes [DVD]

This is an extremely entertaining look into the goofy side of the members of our favorite band. It shows a side of the band, especially Layne, rarely seen. There is a major shortage of AIC merchandise available, so pick this one up at all costs. There isn't that much sound in this movie though except for the "Grind" music video at the end, which is good. But overall, this is more of a documentary than a concert.

Content — 8
This movie is a hilarious tape that even people who don't know of Alice In Chains will love. Jerry Cantrell/Nona Weisbaum (lead guitarist and singer) interviews the members of the band with his alter ego Nona, the never been published journalist. He finds Sean Kinney (drummer), who in his spare time works as a clown and Mike Inez (bassist) who has a hot dog stand called Rock Dogs on First Avenue. Also, he talks with Layne Staley (lead singer) who is found next to a dumpster, smoking and drinking Snapple. Questions by the producers are answered by the band. At the end, the music video Grind is shown. This press kit for their self-titled album shows that the members of the band are not moody and depressed, but quite the opposite. This is a pretty cool movie.

Production Quality — 7
Was OK. I mean, The Nona Tapes are really about 20 minutes long I guess I was expecting more like an hour but it is all ok. Production quality isn't the best in the world but I still think any Alice In Chains fan would enjoy it. It shows a goofier side of Alice in Chains, Jerry Cantrell dressed in drag, etc. Not many film tricks were used because I don't think it is necessary.

All the "bits" they do are all somewhat humorous, but I can only say that I laughed outloud once or twice during the whole thing. If you live, eat, and breath AIC (like I do), get this video, but if you think you can live without it pick up one of their CDs, you'll be much happier. But I don't recommend it to a non Alice fan. I love it though.

BlindMelon45
    i wish i could find that..... i clicked here cause i thought it would be MTV's best unplugged performance ever.... but i want this DVD. AIC kick ass Layne Thomas Staley is a fukin god RIP
    BGM>YOU
    Hey, is this on DVD now? I've looked for it since they took it off Youtube and can't find it on DVD...If so, can someone give me a link to somewhere that I can buy it?