Unplugged review by Alice in Chains

• Released: Jan 1, 1996
Alice in Chains: Unplugged

Well to start, Alice In Chains Unplugged is definitely the best unplugged I have ever heard and may well be the best album I have ever owned or listened to. From Nutshell to Killer Is Me Unplugged melodically glides from beginning to end, entrancing the listener and exposing them to the delicate unplugged atmosphere while still holding the raw, grunge sound that is still Alice in Chains. And while some of the songs have been altered slightly, they still provide the audience with same gripping sounds from Layne's (and Jerry's) vocals and Jerry and Scott's masterful guitar playing. Songs like Rooster and Would? still rock the house with just as much conviction, but my personal favorite is without a doubt Down In A Hole. I was never really into the original version, but I was blown away by how amazing it sounded unplugged.

I have always been impressed by Alice In Chains' lyrics and music-style and they continue to impress me through their ability to wield the unplugged sound with excellence. Layne's and Jerry's vocal skills really shined through the performance, delivering them as good as ever, especially in Rooster and Heaven Beside You.

Alice In Chains Unplugged shouldn't be compared to their other cds as it is in essence a greatest hits album, but I do favor Unplugged over all the others simply because it is presented masterfully. Every note well sounded, every riff played with amazing precision, and the stab at Metallica was priceless. If this CD ever breaks, is stolen, or lost I would replace it as soon as I possible could. In addition, I would recommend purchasing the DVD as it is worth every penny.