ANThology review by Alien Ant Farm

• Released: Mar 6, 2001
Alien Ant Farm: ANThology

Alien Ant Farm's first release 'ANTthology' is my favorite bi-polar CD that I own. The moods between songs are so totally different, you curiously wonder how could they possibly have been written in the same time period? Alien Ant Farm is about the most unique band I listen to. No one else sounds like them, and Alien Ant Farm sound like no one else I have heard. The originality in all of the songs is excellent. The music isn't necessarily difficult but the speed involved in the songs is hardly replicable. The styles on this CD are hard rock with punk overtones (like in the drums). The "extra" 'Orange Appeal' is pleasing for it is very original and is much different from any other song on the disc.

The lyrics are excellent. Consisting mostly of metaphors for the relationships involved, situations, and events, the mood is possibly much derived from the feelings while in a relationship between two people. The stand-out song with correlation between the music and lyrics for me is track 7 ('Attitude'). The Spanish-like guitar part is very nice and soothing for the song. Overall, the singing skills are perfect for the music at stake, nothing overly loud or obnoxious, nothing trying to go too far ability-wise, but never anything to sneeze at.

The most impressive songs from the album for me are 'Stranded', 'Courage', 'Sticks And Stones', 'Whisper', 'Wish (track 9)' and 'Death Day'. These songs are really the most dominant songs on the album to me, and are the most emotionally deep and powerful. I love everything about this CD, I couldn't think of a better album that has been released since 2001 as this was. If it were stolen or lost I would defiantly seek the person and make them eat the shards of this CD after I snap it right into their eyes. And of course, I would make them pay for a replacement.