ANThology review by Alien Ant Farm

• Released: Mar 6, 2001
Alien Ant Farm: ANThology

I really like the band's sound. They are really original, sometimes using quite obscure chords and patterns, and the singer (Dryden Mitchell) is fantastic, and a breath of fresh air. I really rate the band's sound because it is really distinguishable among other bands. You'd know an AAF song if you heard it.

This album has some really standout lyrics, but often quite cryptic, like Wish, with lyrics like "Make a wish, make a sucotash wish, you live a pompous life, make wishes all the time, make wishes don't break mine". However, one song, Whisper, is not so subtle with lyrics like "I'm so confused, this industry has made me cold" and "I'll introduce you to the producers, they'll write your songs and make them way damn shorter". I think there's a good mix of quite cryptic songs and more obvious songs, thematically.

As I've said, I really like this CD because it is really original. The band aren't afraid of using weird chords, and their sound spectrum is really wide, going from heavy tracks like Wish to delicate tracks like Universe and the hidden track at the end, and everything inbetween (so not just a bunch of heavy songs then one or two obligatory acoustic or piano driven songs that you'll find on a lot of albums).