ANThology Review

8.2
 7.4
reviews (8) 1 comment vote for this album:
ANThology Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on december 06, 2005

Sound: Alien Ant Farm's first release 'ANTthology' is my favorite bi-polar CD that I own. The moods between songs are so totally different, you curiously wonder how could they possibly have been written in the same time period? Alien Ant Farm is about the most unique band I listen to. No one else sounds like them, and Alien Ant Farm sound like no one else I have heard. The originality in all of the songs is excellent. The music isn't necessarily difficult but the speed involved in the songs is hardly replicable. The styles on this CD are hard rock with punk overtones (like in the drums). The "extra" 'Orange Appeal' is pleasing for it is very original and is much different from any other song on the disc. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent. Consisting mostly of metaphors for the relationships involved, situations, and events, the mood is possibly much derived from the feelings while in a relationship between two people. The stand-out song with correlation between the music and lyrics for me is track 7 ('Attitude'). The Spanish-like guitar part is very nice and soothing for the song. Overall, the singing skills are perfect for the music at stake, nothing overly loud or obnoxious, nothing trying to go too far ability-wise, but never anything to sneeze at. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs from the album for me are 'Stranded', 'Courage', 'Sticks And Stones', 'Whisper', 'Wish (track 9)' and 'Death Day'. These songs are really the most dominant songs on the album to me, and are the most emotionally deep and powerful. I love everything about this CD, I couldn't think of a better album that has been released since 2001 as this was. If it were stolen or lost I would defiantly seek the person and make them eat the shards of this CD after I snap it right into their eyes. And of course, I would make them pay for a replacement. // 10

ANThology Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2006

Sound: I really like the band's sound. They are really original, sometimes using quite obscure chords and patterns, and the singer (Dryden Mitchell) is fantastic, and a breath of fresh air. I really rate the band's sound because it is really distinguishable among other bands. You'd know an AAF song if you heard it. // 9

Lyrics: This album has some really standout lyrics, but often quite cryptic, like Wish, with lyrics like "Make a wish, make a sucotash wish, you live a pompous life, make wishes all the time, make wishes don't break mine". However, one song, Whisper, is not so subtle with lyrics like "I'm so confused, this industry has made me cold" and "I'll introduce you to the producers, they'll write your songs and make them way damn shorter". I think there's a good mix of quite cryptic songs and more obvious songs, thematically. // 8

Overall Impression: As I've said, I really like this CD because it is really original. The band aren't afraid of using weird chords, and their sound spectrum is really wide, going from heavy tracks like Wish to delicate tracks like Universe and the hidden track at the end, and everything inbetween (so not just a bunch of heavy songs then one or two obligatory acoustic or piano driven songs that you'll find on a lot of albums). // 9

ANThology Reviewed by: marvs_10, on february 11, 2004

Sound: Punk rock...hard, cool and extreme tones..definitely one of the ultimate choice when it comes to original head banging moods. Ummm..the voice? sounds really great specially when he bears down on some of the refrain lines. Guitar? awesome coordination of both bass and electric...not scattered...I mean, there's a clarity in the compostion of the songs. I think the most smartest thing this album has is the well defined rhythm...both funny and eccentric blending of sounds. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics matches the mood of the tracks..you won't get that "good-tone-weird-message" track thing here. Like when you listen to a song...the melody's great but there ain't enough time to cringe to it because the artist lost time to write enough lyrics... Anthology's input is broad and with sense. // 10

Overall Impression: I would probably say that all the tracks in this album is great. A good friend of mine gave me an MP3 download from the net and he saved it to my cellphone...the first time I heard them...it was like..wow! totally cool tune..right there and then, I promised myself to buy their CD. Now I have their Anthology album and it became one of my favorites. I always bring it with me whenever I hitch a ride with my buddy..and we'd love to listen to it in his car. // 10

ANThology Reviewed by: Whstripesrox, on june 23, 2004

Sound: Lacking. That's what the sound is. Not fun at all. But for real the sound is modern rock kinda mixed in with nu-metal, except for no screaming. The guitar is interesting at first but then gets old. This is not one of those albums where you listen to it and hate it, then listen to it again and like it. It's just the opposite. // 6

Lyrics: The singer's skill is all right. He goes all Michael Jackson on you for Smooth Criminal. Ye-heee! His voice is just like the guitar. It sounds fun at first then slowly gets annoying. The Lyrics? Let me just put it this way. Their best song, Smooth Criminal, is the best lyrically, and guitar-wise song on the album. It's not even their song. It's a cover. 'Nuff said. // 4

Overall Impression: This album get's old fast. I mean the thing was so boring I could hardly think of anything to write about it! You can't have a good album based on one song. // 2

ANThology Reviewed by: jjhand, on december 10, 2008

Sound: This album was probably Alien Ant Farm at their best. The band's drummer Mike Cosgrove plays great jazz-rock inspired rhythms to Terry Corso's guitar parts. I'd have to admit that Cosgrove, although he plays awesomely energetic original drum parts, reminds me sometimes of Limp Bizkit's John Otto. As for the guitar parts, Corso commonly plays riffs that revolve around a progression of harmonic intervals (a root note, and a fifth, fourth, or major or minor third). Add some fat distortion on top, and the parts become really bad-ass sounding! He and Tye Zamora, the bass player also write with jazz chords in mind as well, changing the sound of otherwise simple songs significantly. Tye also adds in some slap bass and natural harmonics from time to time. // 10

Lyrics: Dryden Mitchell sings well and even shouts some defiant lyrics in songs like "Wish", giving his voice some clout against his bandmates wall of noise. He does have some interstingly cool lyrics in "Stranded", "Summer", and "Whisper". Sometimes the lyrics come off as premature high school stuff, like "Sticks and Stones". Other times Dryden can come off as nonsensical, along the vein of some of Dave Grohls early Foo Fighters lyrics. Overall the vocal delivery is very good though. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe AAF carved a solid niche in the Alternative/Modern Rock scene as a result of the success from this album. The success was aided by the band's relationship with Papa Roach, who they met while touring on the California circuit. As for the songs: 01.Courage: good strong main riffs and vocals, enough said. 02.Movies: a good single, highlighted by good vocal harmony 03.Flesh & Bone: a great offbeat yet harmonic guitar riff, and it flows through the song to a awesome Chorus and Interlude part towards the end. 04.Whisper: dissonant sounding riffs with a good chorus, but lyrics are unusual and bitter towards their record execs? ok 05.Summer: a galloping main riff with some jazz chords and good lyrics, 06.Sticks and Stones: a Heavy riff, but the lyrics are very immature and take away from the heaviness. Drums are awesome in this one! 07.Attitude: a great single, has a fast slapback echo driven flurry of guitar notes in the main riff and some creative playing in the chorus. Drums and bass have a good beat too. 08.Stranded 09.Wish: one of the heavier songs, with Dryden growling vocals in some spots. Guitar, bass, and drums drive this song wickedly. 10.Calico: an interesting guitar riff with shifting intervals on several neighboring strings. I tabbed it out and it sounds cool! 11.Happy Death Day: dryden must really not like some ex of his to write the lyrics to this song. Yet, Terry comes off with a great Clean Guitar riff and nice bluesy soloing showing that he's no slouch when it comes to solos. 12.Smooth Criminal: the infamous Michael Jackson cover that propelled them to stardom. The beat and modified riffs they played make you want to dance, and it reinvents this song beautifully. 13.Universe: this song has an ominous sounding spooky riff and some nice strings in the background (might be a synthesizer). 14.Hidden Track - "orange appeal": also kinda spooky and goofy at the same time, yet its played with minimal guitar & bass effects. This is one of my favorite albums of all time, just from the clever riffs that Terry Corso and Tye Zamora wrote. I also have to admit that I'm a big fan of Cosgrove's drumming. If I lost the CD I'd definitely re-buy it! // 10

ANThology Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2003

Sound: The sound Alien Ant Farm put out is very diffrent and I like that. They mix great bass lines with rough guitar and soaring vocals that creates a massive sound. There music ranges from VERY hard rock like on tracks Whisper and Wish (if you turn these tracks up loud enough, it will be about 2 seconds before your neighbors call) and softer songs like Summer and Calico (My favorite song on the cd). I would say this musical sound is very Alien Ant Farm and you would be hard pressed to find a sound like this one. // 8

Lyrics: The songwriting is the best I have heard heard of. Dryden mixes easy to understand vocals with a play on words that creates lyrics that the first time you listen you get the picture, but after several listens you start to catch diffrent parts,and it all adds up to a giant picture in the end. Masterful. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this cd a year ago and I have listened to it everyday since (I am not kidding). This the best cd I have ever purchased, and I would buy it again. // 10

ANThology Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2004

Sound: The impression of the music talent from this band I recieve is really impressive!I found pretty catchy music pieces, and sometimes I find myself humming the tunes instead of the classic plain lyric craze. The music is what truly makes the song, but the lyrics just let you take the song to the next level. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are written as what the writer really feels. Reading the lyrics that someone else wrote gives you a good impression on the writers feelings toward any and everything. The singing ability and vocal quality of Alien Ant Farm gives the music an even better sound. // 8

Overall Impression: An overall impression any rock-lover would most likely get, would be a "refreshing for the music soul" outlook on this album,"anthology". The only thing I would probably disagree with about this album is track #11, Death Day, because the lyrics are not sending out a very positive message, but I encourage self expression, so I refuse to judge. However, I do encourage this album to people. // 8

ANThology Reviewed by: cradleoffilth, on october 03, 2005

Sound: I think this compact disc is not a good presentation of what Alien Ant Farm really is. It sounds very good, but I miss the real AAF-rock in it. The way Alien Ant Farm make their songs is amazing: it's made for the real rockers, but also for the normal people who are listening to the radio. // 5

Lyrics: The way they changed Smooth Criminal into a rock song is incredible. I'd liked the Michael Jackson version, but this one is great too. Dryden's voice sound is very special and also Tye's backing vocals are pretty well. But after a few songs it's like all songs are the same and I quit listening. // 6

Overall Impression: I compare Alien Ant Farm with Zornik, but Zornik is much better. My favorite songs on the album are Courage, Movies and Attitude. The songs I don't like are Sticks and Stones, Whisper and Calico. What I love about it: the cover drawing is very cool. If I lose the CD, I won't buy another one. // 7

Comments