Agony & Irony review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: Jul 1, 2008
Alkaline Trio: Agony & Irony

At first I was a little sketchy on what this CD would sound like, as it was produced by Josh Abraham (30 Seconds To Mars - Beautiful Lie, Atreyu - A Deathgrip On Yesterday). But I Think it was prolly the most refreshing trio sound of the last few albums. saying as that Jerry Finn had his hand with mixing and producing From Here to Infirmary, Good Mouring, and Crimson. The Band says they tried to make it more organic and actually do have a lot less extras of keyboards, and synth than Crimson. You can still hear some of these parts, but it is all in good taste. At certain parts like at the end of "I found away" it sounds like some of the Cure's Disintigration was used and referrenced, but it fits the songs just fine. A diverse collection of songs, none of the songs have the feeling they don't belong. Alkaline trio is progressing in many ways, most notably is Matt Skiba's Guitar work. Saying as to the point that when Good Mourning was coming out in 2003, matt said he didn't know where a C note was on his guitar. This must have changed, becasue he seams to know what he is doing on guitar more and more. Dan's voice goes through many spectrums, and he show cases his voice a lot more than previous records. A Good record soundwise, above par for people who were worried like myself knowing that AK3 was moving to Epic records for their major label debut.

Anyone who knows alkaline trio knows that the lyrics these guys write are always true and bite into the minds of their fan following. Nothing has changed, there are lyrics on this album that loyal fans will get tattoos of. Back up vocals was in good taste, and written to fit very well.

One of the best Alkaline Trio albums. prolly the best one since pre-From Here to Infirmary. It is an album, not a CD that is overloaded with songs that are new. It may be only 10 songs, but they go together well. I'm very pleased with these guys. Sellouts? I think not. Keep it up guys, I'm all ears for b-sides (speaking of b-sides, Lost and rendered is stellar at the least).

connorcanfly
    This definently isn't the best Alkaline Trio CD ever, but it's not bad. Calling All Skeletons is undeniably catchy, and songs like In Vein and Do You Wanna Know? make this album worth buying for any Alkaline fan. Not to mention some of these songs sound great live. I say, that if you're new to Alk3, go out and buy From Here to the Infirmiry or Goddamnit first, then once you fall in love with those then listen to the new stuff. It's not as good, but it's not terrible either.
    Hennah
    haha, i honestly dont understand people sometimes, right, theres a huge differece that people are failing to realise with the alkaline trio that released goddamnit back in the day and the alkaline trio today, back then, there album was a lot more raw sounding because of the technology and equipment that they could afford, everyones first ep/album will sound more basic. The band have grown up and like they said are evolving to suit there influences which made them start a band in the first place, i love every alkaline trio album to date, they all offer something very different, the lyrics in this new album are very good and the singing is much improved, now give the band some ****ing appreciation for the effort they give back to thier fans because they deserve it!!! Love ya alkaline trio! and theyre immense live.
    Kevsalunatic
    PrivateEye721 wrote: FenderMaster wrote: i'm still unsure about this one, all the songs sound good, but none stand out as great, and they all have that over-produced Crimson/Good Mourning sound to them that's very true. this album has an overproduced guitar sound, like Crimson. Alkaline Trio has moved away from the raw guitar sound that was almost the foundation of their guitar sound.
    I agree with this.
    jwatkins2289
    WHAT?? You mean trio has access to over a million dollars worth of music equipment, AND THEY USED IT!!! Goddamn them straight to hell! What a travesty! Quick, everyone spray paint a sign that reads "De-evolve Music" and meet me in front of Epic records at 9 AM monday morning! As with every trio album, the music from Agony & Irony offers the same macabre greatness that every actual fan has enjoyed since "goddamnit". As a fair warning, it is apparent that both skiba and andriano have been undergoing some vocal coaching. As, they have a much wider singing range in this one..Seriously, youll be in disbelief when Dan hits the high notes in "do you wanna know?"...But, as i said, the album is great. Buy the deluxe edition if you can, because it's definitely worth it - an extra song and 5 acoustic songs (1 of the m being "maybe ill catch fire"). The album book is pretty sweet too..Pick this one up ASAP!
    dillonjh41
    Don't listen to anyone who says this album is no good. It's great, especially the bonus tracks. Gotta love Alkaline Trio!
    Alcoholiday
    I really like Alkaline Trio's older stuff, especially From Here to Infirmary, but this just doesn't cut it, way too god damn slow, no energy, not sure what they were thinking with this, shouldn't of changed their unique sound, as they say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thumbs down.
    samtberg
    I love Alkaline Trio, but in my opinion, they've been writing the same mid-tempo pop songs since "From Here To Infirmary". Not to sound like one of those "their-first-album-was-the-best" elitists, but goddamnit, was "Goddamnit!" good.
    Couldn't agree more. Just has a listen to this album and compared to 'Goddamnit', 'Maybe I'll Catch Fire' and 'From Here...' this is generic, uninspiring and forgettable.
    ratedpg
    haha the comments on every cd review are the same. "die hard" fans complaining about how they hate the new stuff and how much the early stuff rocks. and more and more people are going to start liking Alkaline Trio because they made a really good cd, and you'll keep complaining about how they "sold-out". it's the exact same thing with every other band who ever made a new cd ever. come up with something original to say.
    ratedpg
    haha why are the comments on every cd review the same? annoying "die hard" fans whining about how they "sold out" or "their old stuff is sooooo much better" you're exactly the same as every other whining fan of every other band ever. And you're all going to keep on crying when more and more people start liking them because they made a really good cd. bands change get use to it.
    tmwtp
    i think this is way too overpolished. i miss more natural albums...those were the days
    lolmnt
    It's definitely their worst release, but it's still alright. It's just okay; I'm not blown away.
    BASS IS BETTER
    good solid album, hopefully being on a major label and spending over a decade on the phierepherry of the "scene" and seeing crapper bands rip them off and sell their integrity and sound in order to sell out a stadium full of screaming 14yr olds ie (my chemical romance 30 seconds to mars fall out boy) alkaline trio wont go down the same route!
    USCENDONE BENE
    I was a little surprised on first listen as i was expecting a bit more old-school stuff mixed in with the new, but really its just a further progression from the last album, though i guess the arrangements are simpler again. It is a pretty good album that im sure will grow on me with more listens.
    PrivateEye721
    Fatally Jon
    alkalineweeman
    Better than Crimson IMO but still nothing special. I havet really enjoyed anything by these guys since Good Mourning. I realize a band eeds to evolve to stay fresh and intresting i just personaly dont like where theyve gone. 6/10
    FenderMaster
    nklax
    i really like the album, imo it still sounds like AK3 should sound.
    duncang
    The album's on the Myspace. Gave it one listen, it was alright but couldn't top Crimson imo. I'll give it some time though.
    aspiringexpat
    Great album, goddamn stellar album actually. One can tell that this band has evolved into their own solid and unique sound. An eclectic blend of some old school Alkaline sounds with their staple guitar distortion, a sick expirament of Clashesque indie, real punk as well as modern American pop punk (which the Alkaline Trio has held it's own mass of gravitas in forming), to body groovin' punkabillie, and even some scandanavian indie sounding synthesized bits. Every song has it's own ubiquitous sound. Ultimately one of their top two albums, I would say it's neck to neck with Goddammmit. Also, it sounds as if Matt Skiba sings some of his songs in one higher octave than in previos albums, but he returns to his lower octave in others but unfortunately refrains from screaming. And Dan Adriano's voice sounds pretty damn beautifull as well. Keep up the good work boys, as my eardrums have been stoked on your music for over ten years now.
    Joefern
    All i have to say is that the vocal and instrumental parts (especially the bass lines) are about twice as complex and far less repetetive. i am a fan of all of AK3's stuff but this has been my favorite album for the musical depth it has exibited