Alkaline Trio review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: Apr 18, 2000
Alkaline Trio: Alkaline Trio

Early in the band's career, Alkaline Trio relied a lot on punk riffs and repeated bass lines. This shows off like a sore thumb on their self-titled. The things is, the album wasn't made all at once, it's a compilation of previous EPs and bits and pieces from 1996-1999. In spite of what people think, Glen Porter, not Mike Felumlee, played drums on the album. Bass player Rob Doran played on Sun Dials, Nose Over Tail, and '97.

The lyrics on the album are absolutely amazing. Matt Skiba and Dan Adriano made catchy choruses and songs about heartbreak, alcoholism, and typical youth feelings toward the world. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music, and they go together hand and hand in all the songs, even though I question Matt and Dan's singing on a song or two. Overall it was pretty good lyrics-wise.

Although their self-titled isn't as good as their later work, it's still a great album to listen to anytime. Songs that stood out to me were Bleeder, Nose Over Tail, and Southern Rock. I love just about everything on the album, and would have to say this is a must if someone wants to start listening to Alkaline Trio, especially if they want to hear them before they started to change their punk-styles. It this album was lost, I would run out in a split-second to buy it again.

Sanctus Ignis
    Thanks, Luigi. You explain details very well! Keep up the good work and keep listening to great music!