Crimson review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: May 24, 2005
Alkaline Trio: Crimson

The first time I listened to the CD, I thought I bought the wrong CD b/c it didn't sound like the Trio at all. The style is very different from the older stuff. But after listening to the Crimson a couple of times, I could hear the older style mixed in with the new. Like in "Fall Victim" the intro has a similar sound to that of "Goodbye Forever." You also hear some of the old style in "Mercy Me." Overall, the "new" Trio style takes a little getting used to, but it's still wonderful none the less.

No one can beat Matt's lyrics. Need I say more? Matt Skiba has to be one of the best song writers ever to live. Although the lyrics aren't so much about relationships and heartbreak, you still get moved by the beauty of its poetic nature. I do wish that Skiba would write more songs about heartbreak b/c I think those are his best songs, but the lyrics on Crimson are very powerful.

Like I said earlier, when I first listened to Crimson, I really couldn't believe that it was the Alkaline Trio playing. But once you get used to it, this is really a wonderful CD. The Alkaline Trio still provide their touching "pop" lyrics with the powerful guitar sound, just as they did back in 1997. If you're into emo or punk-rock, the Alkaline Trio is a perfect band to listen to. The lyrics are easy to catch on to, and the music is easy to fall in love with.