Crimson review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: May 24, 2005
Alkaline Trio: Crimson

When I first listened to Crimson, I was very dissapointed. Alkaline Trio have changed alot from the band I fell in love with two years ago. Having spent most of my time listening to Goddamnit and Maybe I'll Catch Fire, Crimson was a bit of a shock, however, after a bit of getting used to, it's a quite good record and has attracted a lot of new fans. Already existing fans will notice that sound has matured alot, and is a natural evolution from Good Mourning. There have been experiments with out instruments such as the piano in Time To Waste. The sound is a lot more commercial and not so different from the other popular 'emo' bands of the moment, which is good for new fans, but a little dissapointing for people who love Alkaline Trio for what they used to be.

Although the lyrics are all good enough, there are some obvious let downs, such as "Such a basket case, hide the cutlery," "You felt sorry so I felt a wrath come." However, there are also good lyrics such as "Had a nice grip on my life till you twisted my arm" and the chorus to Deathbed: "They found me face down in the street/On the night you left to find another place to sleep, in rain and reget/They said they tried everything but it was no use/Yeah they tried everything and everyone but you." All in all, the standard of the lyrics is pretty good but not as good as previous albums. And it goes without saying that Matt Skiba's vocal skills are flawless, perfect, gorgeous. He has the sexiest vioce I've ever heard. And Dan Adriano does well also, although he was at his best on I Lied My Face Off, which was the first time I realised that he could actually sing with angst. His latest songs seem to be lacking in attitude.

In comparison with their previous albums, Crimson is a bit of a let down. It seems to have replaced their early attitude with more gothic inspired sophistication, which I feel doesn't quite suit them. The impression given is that they have changed their sound to meet the demands of the current emo'loving market, but then, their sound has been progressing steadily and this could be a natural evolution for them. It's a good album for new fans, and old fans can grow to like it, it just seems to have lost something. This is possibly only becasue I think that their best albums were Goddamnit and Maybe Ill Catch Fire, and those albums had a completely different sound from this one. My personal favourite tracks are Deathbed, The Poison and Fall Victim. The worst tracks are Mercy Me (good chorus but the verses don't seem to match), I cant think of any more truly bad sings. I guess I'm just being biased against Crimson becasue I think Alkaline Trio reached perfection before it, then started to lose their edge. All in all it's not a bad album and I don't blame the band for trying to go in a new direction. However, if I lost Crimson, I'd download a copy from my friends and go buy Placebo's greatest hits instead. Or Matt Skiba's solo stuff, which rocks.