Crimson review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: May 24, 2005
Alkaline Trio: Crimson

Crimson is definitely a different sound for A3, and impression with the piano intro to Time To Waste was: "What the hell happened to A3?" But after listening to the entire album, I could tell that A3 was still alive and kicking. The piano parts are a very nice addition to the album. Burn uses a delay effect that sounds great. The guys really outdid themselves musically on this album, from guitar and bass riffs to drum parts, and although they are far from the best musicians in the world, the music won't leave you disappointed.

The lyrics are good, but there are a few week points. But that's to be expected with any album. At times they're incredible though. Songs like Time To Waste, The Poison, Mercy Me, I Was A Prayer, and Smoke are amazing lyrically. The chorus to Burn is also amazing, but the verses are a bit week. The lyrics and music meet perfectly. Matt and Dan are incredible vocalists, their voices complement one another and fit perfectly with the music.

This is a different sound for the boys, but it's still incredible. A little bit of a turn in the road, but still good. Basically all the songs on this album are impressive, some are weaker than others, but they all have their moments. Smoke is probably my favorite, although slower it's an incredible, incredible song musically and lyrically. I can't honestly say I dislike anything about this album, either. It's an incredible piece of work and as always with the Trio it really bears their souls. The boys mean this album and it's a piece of them as well as a masterpiece, and I would have to say that it's one of my favorite CDs. It's dark and angst filled, but at the same time expresses hope.

Not Now
    Erm, it's not emo or punk. I dont think there IS a genre for this. It's a great album though. Back To Hell - best song.
    HughF
    Alkaline Trio's new album, whether you think it or not, is a punk rock album. I actually had a darker feeling for this alubm, but it might only be me.
    iquitmyscene13
    Yeah why the phunk is this listed as emo? They're not emo...yeah I'd have to agree with the dude up there. There isnt a genre for the trio. If there was though, it sure as hell wouldn't be emo!
    turbopunk2000
    I say the only emo bands are the ones from the 80s such as rites of spring and the like. Everything is else is either "post hardcore" or some other genre such as soft rock.