Crimson review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: May 24, 2005
Alkaline Trio: Crimson

These guys have been around for the longest time and I must say I am quite impressed with the creative dynamics that are still pumping out of them. The sound that Crimson has is unlike any other Trio record. It takes on a Cure/AFI type of feel, not only are the lyrics better, but the riffs are darker and less poppy, which leaves a better taste in our mouths when listening to it. They maintain an over all variety, from the delay/flanger filled Burn to the original Trio style heard on "Back To Hell".

The lyrics on this album seem to tie in with more of a personal aspect. Some make you think, others make you nod your head and want to rip a hole in the wall. Skiba's voice isn't the best, but it is unique and is complimented well by Rob Doran and even drummer Glen Porter. I mean these guys all put in their part from every side, lyrically, instrumentally and vocally, great overall band. Very unified if I must say.

I am a huge Trio fan, and am very happy with this album. One thing I would like to see on the next album is more of a "live" sound. Some songs sounded to "perfect", Skiba's voice is raw and his guitar riffs are catchy, I'd love to see less layers of guitars and more of Skiba just doing his thing, like he would on stage. If I were to lose this album I would buy 2 more incase it occurs again. It's just a great overall record and I am glad these guys can be creative, yet stick to their original sound.

jcs5234
    i didnt really like this one...my favorite alk3 album is and will always be maybe ill catch fire
    joevsimp
    did anyone else notice a subtle use of classical symphonic technique on this album that makes it better as an album than as seperate songs? listen to the chourus of "burn", the melody that goes with the line "you live and you burn" is the key to this now listen to the string intro to "prevent this tragedy" sound familiar? its in a couple of the other songs on the album too, (I cant remember which ones at the mo, but not any of the singles) this technique is straight out of the classical method listen to Beethove's forth symphony (duh duh duh DUH, duh duh duh Duh) or just take my word for it that old Luwig Van uses this same technique to bind all of the movements together, using the familiar melody and rhythm from the start, often with a slightly different melody that has the same shape if you get what i mean wow, i'm such a geek I wonder if they did it deliberately?