Crimson review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: May 24, 2005
Alkaline Trio: Crimson

Well, the Alkaline Trio CD that I am reviewing, is the deluxe edition of their 2005 CD, Crimson. There are two CD's in this edition. One is with the original songs and the other is with demo's and acoustic versions. The CD opens with the song, "Time To Waste". A melodic piano intro with hard hitting guitars and drums. Then the CD closes with Smoke, a ballad type song. This CD in my opinion, is one of their most mature CD's yet. Most of the styles that the guitarist, Matt Skiba, has used in this CD is mainly 4 to 5 powerchord songs. But with an additional guitar track added which plays the lead, the songs are a sure hit. With matured lyrics, simple guitar beats and clever drum work, Alkaline Trio makes this CD sound like their best in a long time.

The lyrics on this CD has changed drastically. Although, while bass player and backing vocals Daniel Adriano still sings a little immature lines "A romantic plastic piece of sh*t you can mold/Until I break into chokeable pieces," I Was A Prayer. The way the lyrics go with the music is very well made. The song called "Sadie" has a light sound with a simple, but complex solo. Overall, the lyrics were very well made. Also, listening to the demo's are very interesting because you can actually hear his real voice and not altered like other muscians/artists.

Alkaline Trio has not changed their sound with this CD. The only changed is that they have matured a lot since they came out with their earlier CD's and have put more thought into their music. This CD is a great buy and is also interesting to hear the demo's they have made prior to the release of their CD. Recommend this for all rock/pop people!

happyman1990
    well i dunno, for a year straight this album was melted in my stereo but looking but i'm not sure if it's as great as once thought...but as for genring them, when ppl ask about them, (because i rep alot of their shit) i say they are a "Satanic-Punk" band, cas in reality they are. It gives ppl a decent idea of what to expect. Punk, involving death, drugs and fire.