From Here to Infirmary review by Alkaline Trio

• Released: Apr 3, 2001
Alkaline Trio: From Here to Infirmary

Musically I would not describe FHTI as Alkaline Trio's most ambitious or original album, but I can't deny that the melodies still stick in my head, and I've had this album since it was released! The sound is noticeably less raw than their previous LPs but the quality of the guitar parts [particularly in Hell Yes] remains. Finally Alkaline Trio seem to have achieved the balance between beautiful guitar parts, intelligent bass and lyrics, without ignoring the drumset. It's such a shame that they threw it away again with Good Mourning.

As always the Trio's lyrics remain top-notch. In terms of the entire genre of rock I can't say I've heard evidence of any band with lyrics so darkly and painfully funny as these - 'why i turned out the way I did, someone somewhere dropped me on my cranium'. Matt Skiba's voice is as powerful as ever, especially in Take Lots With Alcohol.

Overall From Here To Infirmary is arguably Alkaline Trio's best album, combining the passion and energy of Goddammnit with Maybe I'll Catch Fire's sheer emotion. They certainly seem to have led bands such as Blink 182 in the right direction, but no emo or pop-punk band I've seen can surpass the Trio!

LetsImpeachBush
    "Matt Skiba's voice is as powerful as ever, especially in Take Lots With Alcohol." Dan sings that song... wow.
    dawoodman619
    Agony & Irony (regretfully) was the first album i listened to, and in my opinion it was a really good record. a more rock approach than the others, but a very solid record. i'd heard "Armageddon" on Tony Hawk's UG a long time ago, and i always remember singing along w/ it, but i never got past that point. then i was in a band and our drummer was listenin to them on YouTube (think it was something from Crimson). then finally i decided to get this album and i will admit, it took me a couple of listens to really admire it for what it is and because i did that, so far, it's my favorite from them. they make simple punk songs sound so... not simple. not many bands are capable of that. awesome music, vocals & lyrics. occasionally i find myself a little annoyed by Dan's vocals (like "I'm Dying Tomorrow"), but then I hear a song like "Crawl" and i don't feel any criticism at all. i recommend this album to anyone who hasn't listened to them at all or barely at all.